MB white vs Alum -- Help

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by derekjd, Oct 15, 2008.

1. derekjd macrumors member

Hey all,

I'm looking at buying either a MB white or low end Alum model and I'm not sure if what I'm doing would utilize the Alum model.

Uses:
    video conversion - avi to DVD/h.264 + burning
    video editing - simple video editing using FCE
    some simple photo editing - mainly iPhoto, maybe (barely) photoshop
    minimal audio capture and conversion
    watching video and video capture

I dont really game at all except for maybe games like StarCraft or something like that, I have a Wii for games. What do you guys think, I was thinking the low end White would be a good companion to my iMac white 2.16 w/ 2 TBs and 3 gig.

Thanks for the help.
    Derek

2. marvel2 macrumors 6502

I would go with the base model aluminum. However the white MB will be able to do everything you require.

3. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

And they will probably be working out bugs and kinks in the first revision.

4. derekjd thread starter macrumors member

Nvidia chips

Do you think the new Nvidia chips will speedup FCE at all and/or video conversion?

5. aneftp macrumors 601

Get the new Macbook aluminum $1299 model. You will have the newest/greatest with a better resale value compared to the white macbooks. In 2 years when you want to resale the macbook, your alumn. macbook will still look updated.

Unless you can get the last gen 2.4 gz macbook white for less than $900, the extra money is worth it for the aluminum macbook.

Honestly, I do not know why people complain about a first generation product. Apple has a great 1 year warranty. Most electronics break within the first 30 days if there is a problem.

In addition, most of us have "platinum credit cards" that double your warranty. All you have to do is keep the receipt, download Apple's warranty description and get an estimate of the repair cost from Apple and your credit card company will reimburse you for the repair cost if there are problems in year 1-2.

I do not worry about generation 1 products at all because I know I am protected with at least 2 years worth of warranty. 1 from Apple and the year 2 from my credit card company. I've taken advantage of this before and it's very simple to fill out.

6. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

How will you be getting your footage on to the computer?

If your camera only supports FW then you need to get the White Macbook.

Edit.

Oops, didn't see that you said that you had an iMac... If that's the case, then I would say go for the new one... people like new things :p

7. eidrunner247 macrumors 6502

And with ebay, this is possible - takes some good searching though + live.com cashback.

8. derekjd thread starter macrumors member

live.com cashback, can you elaborate on some good ways to save some $?