MB White - wait or go for it?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by endhalf, May 24, 2011.

  1. endhalf macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 24, 2011
    #1
    Hello everyone,

    since I decided to get a new macbook, I'm still on the edge with MB White. I mean, I can buy a macbook white (by the way, it costs 1200 dollars here, in Czech Rep.) with C2D 2.4Ghz, 2GB ram and GeForce 320M. If I wait however, I'm sure that they will upgrade current MB White to current MBP (wich means Core i5 Sandy Bridge and Intel graphic). I'm on edge because:

    C2D is so old processor that it seems funny to downgrade from Core i3 (that I have on my current PC I use) and Core i5 would be huge different from C2D 2.4Ghz, but if I wait, GF 320M will be past and all there will be left is crapy intel graphic. What do you think? Should I wait for upgrade, or go for it now, when I can still buy MB with GeForce graphic chip in it?
     
  2. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

    TheMacBookPro

    Joined:
    May 9, 2008
    #2
    Depends what you want to do- gaming or 'other things'?

    A friend of mine just bought a new WhiteBook several days ago, knowing an update was coming, because he didn't want the HD3000 (he plans on doing some gaming on it).
    Not the best gaming machine for the money obviously but it's a great all-rounder as it is.

    If you wait for the refresh, and you decide you prefer the C2D+320M, the only way you can get a new C2D MB is either from a local reseller with leftover previous-gen stock or buy a refurb model from the online store.
     
  3. azentropy macrumors 68000

    azentropy

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2002
    Location:
    Surprise
    #3
    The C2D was an old processor when the MB came out a YEAR ago. So if you can wait, wait. It isn't like the 320M is a great graphics chip anyway, and the bump in processor even with integrated graphics will probably offset it.
     
  4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

    thejadedmonkey

    Joined:
    May 28, 2005
    Location:
    Pa
    #4
    Wait. It's been over a year since the white macbook was last updated. Don't buy year+ old technology that was already overpriced when it was released.
     
  5. i.moroney macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 23, 2011
    #5
    The white macbook is due for a refresh with an intel core i3 CPU and possibly the return of the black macbook or the "blackbook" that comes with an intel core i5 CPU, 500GB HDD and 4GB of RAM and the white one would have 320GB HDD 4GB of RAM and they would both have the intel integrated graphics.

    Prices (in $USD)

    White with intel i3=$899

    Black with intel i5=$1,099
     
  6. endhalf thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 24, 2011
    #6
    i.moroney: That's very interesting, white macbook will be even cheaper? Is known any date yet? Or just Q3/4 2011?

    Thank you all of you, I'll most certainly wait for HW refresh of MB white.
     
  7. i.moroney macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 23, 2011
    #7
    endhalf: yes i myself am awaiting on the refresh of the plastic macbook(s) and various websites say that there will be a black macbook and the white one will drop to an even lower price. nobody knows when this will happen though, the white macbooks seem to be dwindling and apple are trying to get people to buy the "pro" models it could be a possiblility that all of the new macbooks aren't ready/assembled or they're holding off until the release of OSX lion and does anyone have any speculations as too which month OSX lion might be released?
    :apple::apple:
     
  8. bitsoda macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2011
    #8
    The hinge on my current laptop broke about three weeks ago so I've been really looking forward to the MacBook refresh. It's depressing glancing at MR's Buyer's Guide only to find that it has been over a year since the last MB refresh. I really wish Apple would get on it with it already and update the damn portable. At the very least, they should kick off their back-to-school promotion -- even Microsoft is giving away free XBox 360s. If they choose to wait until WWDC to unleash a wave of Mac OS X Lion news and hardware refreshes I will be an unhappy camper.
     
  9. endhalf thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 24, 2011
    #9
    Yep, would be nice to have refresh soon... 13" MBP costs here 1800 dollars and thats price for lowest possib le Core i5 version. I don't know if I'm comfortable buying MBP for that much money since I'm sure White MB would be sufficient. I hope that by september refreshed white MBs will be available...
     
  10. gorcman macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2010
    #10
    The lack of rumors about a white macbook revision is a bit disturbing. If it's taking this long to refresh the white MB, i somehow get the feeling that Apple will either:

    A) Discontinue it all together and have the Macbook Air be the "go to" entry level laptop for Apple. Seems plausible if the new MBA in June gets a 1.7ghz i5 in the base model.

    or

    B) Go the "Mac Mini" route where it goes through long droughts b4 an update is released.
     
  11. ' r i S e n macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 15, 2011
    #11
    If you are primarily going to be using it for gaming, you could pull the trigger now. However, benchmark comparisons of the 2011 MBP vs the 2010 MBP show that in terms of overall FPS in select games, the 2011 build beats the 2010 one slightly, although the 320M scores higher in terms of a GPU.

    So, I mean, if the consumer MacBook is to see a similar refresh (not saying it will), then it wouldn't be that much "worse" really for gaming at all - it's just hard for people to accept the Intel graphics that was forced upon the current MBP build. I cannot speak on Intel graphics as I haven't experienced them - perhaps the lack of accepting it is completely warranted.

    If you are not going to be using it solely for gaming however, it is probably better to wait. In terms of gaming, you wouldn't be taking too big of a hit in terms of the Intel GPU, but you would also see a lot of improvements in other fields where the processor shines.

    I stand by Core 2 Duo though, while it is "outdated," I personally believe that they are very nice processors - and you may find the same for your needs or wants out of your laptop.

    Hope this helps. ^^;
     
  12. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

    MacsRgr8

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2002
    Location:
    The Netherlands
    #12
    My thoughts too.

    It feels like the MacBook has missed an obvious update already. It wouldn't surprise me that Apple will have a new entry-level laptop without ethernet and optical drive.
    A sort of new MacBook Air (white?), Core i3, Flash HD, for less than $ 900...
     

Share This Page