MB : wireless SLOWS with external display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bmuse, May 22, 2007.

1. Bmuse macrumors newbie

C2D Macbook White, 2.0gHz, 2GB

Hi all,

The wireless speed on my Macbook drops to almost zero when an external display is attached. Pages time out, and speedtests will show a downstream speed often less than 100kbps. As soon as I disconnect the external display, speed zooms up to 6000+kbps.
    If I connect it again, back to near zero.

It is not an Apple display, but is connecting of course via Apple's miniDVI-DVI adapter. (Hanns-G 19" widescreen display.) My router is a D-Link DI-524.

Other laptops in the house have no problems with wireless speed. In fact, I can connect my Gateway to the same monitor on the same desk, and it consistently maintains 6000-8000kbps.

Moving the Macbook around or farther from the monitor doesn't help.

I found a similar thread in the Pro section -- a MBP with the same problem. But he was using an Airport router, and changing the channel solved his problem. (Changing the DI-524's channel had no effect for me.)

This has gone on since I bought the Macbook last December, but I only recently realized the connection btwn wireless speed & the external monitor.

Can anyone help? This is driving me completely crazy! :(

2. codekitchen macrumors newbie

Did you ever find a solution to this? I'm having the same problem now. At first I thought it was radio interference, but it's not. I can plug another computer into my ViewSonic LCD and put my MacBook in the same spot, and the wireless is fine -- it's something specifically about plugging my MacBook into the LCD, my wireless speed drops to 0 immediately, and when I unplug my laptop from the monitor the wireless immediately begins working again.

Sounds almost like an IRQ conflict from my old DOS days -- what in the world is going on? :confused:

3. airfrancisco macrumors regular

Yea, I need help here. When I closed the lid to put Pro into clamshell mode, internet slows or turns off. When I open the lid, it speeds back up. I'm looking for ways to keep the lid closed and have high speed connection.