MB with Lion OS

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CocoSS, Nov 14, 2011.

1. CocoSS macrumors member

Hello,

I have a MBP 2011 and i have recently updated to Lion. The boot process is now incredibly slow.

I know this issues was already talked about, but i am asking if somebody fixed it. I have tried all the solutions and none worked for me.

Thanks

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

what are your specs?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For performance issues, there are a few things you can check:
    • Check your Login Items under System Preferences > Accounts to see what you have automatically launching.
    • Also check /Library/LaunchAgents/ and /Users/yourusername/Library/LaunchAgents/ for items launching at startup
    • Look at what widgets you may have running.
    • Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". Then look to see what may be consuming system resources.
    • Take a look at the System Memory tab at the bottom of Activity Monitor to see if you have excessive "page outs", a sign that you may benefit from more RAM.
    • Make sure you're not running any 3rd party antivirus app, as many of those will drain resources, reducing performance. They're not needed to protect your Mac.

4. CocoSS thread starter macrumors member

Core i5 , 4 GB DDR3 , 320 HDD

5. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

I had the exact same specs as you and my boot time doubled when updating to Lion. However, now I have and SSD so it's twice as fast as it first was.

6. CocoSS thread starter macrumors member

I don't want to buy a SSD yet. When i was using SL my boot time was quick. So i suspect Lion is the problem.

7. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Lion is proven to boot slower than SL. (There are some proven benchmarks on this somewhere).

But... not twice as long... maybe 10 seconds or so. It's not clear of course whether those benchmarks are measured to Lion's desktop or when the OS is actually usable (i.e... it depends on what Lion is restoring from the last session).

I also suspect that many people who find Lion booting faster than SL is because the upgrade cleaned out some clutter from their old system.

I couldn't tolerate all the disk activity in Lion so I also upgraded to an SSD. Subsequent OSX releases from here on will depend more and more on solid state memory so it's a losing battle.

8. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

My boot time doubled. From 24 to 50secs. (Ok, it didn't double... but almost)

And I tried many many times and it was always 23-25 and 48-51.

9. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

I agree too, I upgraded my hdd to a intel 320 ssd, and on start up with SL I would only see the Apple logo and the little spinning wheel only turn once. With lion I definitely see the inconsistency of boot times, varying from 2 turns up to 15!!

Other than the initial boot time, sometimes I notice a long hang on shutdowns as well.

Besides that, Lion is snappier in my experience.

10. CocoSS thread starter macrumors member

I wonder if a clean install of Lion could solve the problem :-?