MB wont shutdown, restart, sleep, or startup properly

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by andymacuser, May 6, 2010.

1. andymacuser macrumors newbie

Someone help. I have been frustrated with this all week.

Heres the problem -
    During start up I get the apple logo and everything boots although it takes forever, the apple logo goes away screen goes blue, and sometimes it loads to the login screen about 10 mins later, and sometimes it just sits there.
    - During restart, it shuts down makes all the appropriate sounds, screen goes dark, and all you hear is a residual humming from the inside under the keyboard, and then never restarts. (You have to force shutdown)
    - Same story as above with both shutdown, and sleep.

The only way to get it to load successfully is in safe mode, but even then it still wont do the above problem correctly, it just at least starts.

Heres what I have tried -
    - Resetting the PRAM, Holding power button for 5 seconds until repeating flashes, I've tried reinstalling snow leopard 5 times, I've checked for updates, I've repaired disk permissions, I've repaired the disk, I've even tried stepping the OSX back down to 10.3(The original operating software for this MB)

Nothing has worked.

I don't really want to pay someone to find my problem.

Please help

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Okay.

What exact Mac do you have, look at www.evermac.com to report back if you don't know, as no Intel Mac ever came with Mac OS X 10.3. The first Intel Macs had Mac OS X 10.4.x on them.

Also, Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) can't be installed on any non-Intel Mac.

Do you still have warranty?

What happened before the problems started?

3. andymacuser thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry I must've been wrong about the exact OSX. Its the black MB(Intel) with the duo's and 2gb ram. I rolled it back to whatever software it came with, in that case. you are probably right about the 10.4 .

No warranty, laptop is about 2 years old.

I think it got stuck in some sort of limbo with a DVD.

I picked it up one day after work(It was on a table), it was really hot, but not like melting metal hot, more of an ohh "S^&^" whats wrong.
    - all it was doing was making the humming sound, fans were running, and thats where the problems started.