MB403LL/A (Early 08) vs. MB881LL/A (Late 08)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dperalta, Jan 23, 2009.

1. dperalta macrumors newbie

Hi,

Macconnection has a brand new MB881LL/A (new white macbooks) for $949 after rebates and and brand new MB403LL/A (Early 08 white macbook) for $899. The main differences btw the two that I can see are:

MB403LL/A
    2.4Ghz 800 FSB
    GMA X3100 graphics card
    160 GB HDD

MB881LL/A
    2 Ghz 1066 FSB
    GeForce 9400 graphics card
    120 GB HDD
    Newer superdrive

The rest of the specs are basically identical, eg RAM, wireless, etc...

I will be using the macbook primarily for editing (which I hear is more processor-dependent than graphics card dependent) and then general usage (Internet, music, etc).

The biggest differences for me are processor speeds and the graphics card. Is one a better buy than the other?

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

-David

EDIT: The MB881LL/A is actually Early 09 and was just released last Tuesday (Jan 20), not late 08 as I posted

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What do you plan on editing? What software will you use?

3. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Go for the latest revision. It will run much better.

4. dperalta thread starter macrumors newbie

5. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

With the newer MacBook you get the (much) better GPU, with the release of Snow Leopard in the near future the MacBooks with the better card will see a substantial performance boost as SL is set to use the GPU to aid the main processor.

6. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

You really should buy the all new revised WhiteBook. It has Nvidia Graphics which blows away the Intel graphics in all other White(Black)Books. And standard comes with 2 GB RAM. All for only $999 straight from Apple. That is the best way to buy it. No warranty issues. No third-party resellers. Just the best for less than a grand.

It is definitely worth the $150 difference from the $850 model you mentioned. The graphics alone change the whole thing and make it into a much better Snow Leopard performer (which is why Apple updated it). I assume Apple plans to sell it for some time since they updated it for Snow Leopard. What a great buy.

Or, even better buy is the $1099 MB Unibody refurbished. The latest everything and aluminum all for only $1099 from Apple.com/ store / Refurbished Mac section. Get full year of warranty and a really cool computer/MacBook. I love my aluminum MacBook.

Good luck whichever way you go.

EDIT: I just saw that it was the new WhiteBook, that you mentioned (I didn't realize could be had for $949). Anyways, that is a great buy. Definitely go with that one. It is going to do better in the future whether you need the extra capabilities or not now.

7. jkb72 macrumors newbie

Check out Mac Mall for the "newer" whitebook.
    They seem to have some kind of extra 3% discount going
    on for forum members. Don't quote me on this but I believe
    it can be had for around $915.00 after rebates. Worth a look.