MBA 1.6/80 sufficient for parallels (xp) ???

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by markwise, Feb 27, 2008.

1. markwise macrumors member

I wonder whether a MBA 1.6/ 80 HD will be sufficient to run XP smoothly with Parallels

I have to use XP to be able to use an Access oriented application
    but as I do not want to spend unnecessarily on a MBA 1.8 /80
    Please share your views experiences

THX

2. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

i have a 1.6/80

runs Fusion perfectly, with xp that is, i dont think i would run vista

3. wordy macrumors regular

wordy

Parallels w/XP Pro + SP2 runs great on my 1.6 Air. Update to most recent build for best compatibility with Leopard. I would even venture to say it runs better on the Air than on my old 2ghz MB.

4. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

XP and Vista runs well on Fusion or Parallels. Its personal preference. The 1.6/80 is more then powerful enough to run it.

5. ddd269 macrumors regular

ddd269

I'm running parallels with xp right now. Had it running for about 3 weeks and runs perfect. No problems yet. I run parallels on spaces with full screen mode and occupy one of the space exclusively for parallels and switch back and forth from other os x programs.

1.6 80gb MBA.

6. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

in Fusion, Unity mode is AWESOME!

i can have powerpoint 2008 open right next to a window of Visual Studio! :)

it is so great to be able to use windows programs, and never have to see the nasty windows start bar or icons :)

7. ddd269 macrumors regular

ddd269

Parallels does this also, but I prefer not to use it. Feels like I'm disrespecting OS X by having a Windows program open on it's playing ground. :eek:

It's called coherence mode and will open windows of "Windows" program along with OS X programs with or without the taskbar.

I've never used Fusion, but seems like a good alternative. Both Fusion and Parallels gives what bootcamp can't... Use other os alongside OS X!!! Awesome! :D

...although I do use bootcamp on my MBP when I need processor intensive Windows programs. On the MBA, I just want to browse IE exclusive sites while on the road, so Parallels works just fine with me.

8. markwise thread starter macrumors member

1.6 /80 MBA is sufficient !!!

THX for your input on my question.

being now the proud owner of the 1.6/80 MBA myself (guess one of the first in the netherlands) I can now confirm based on my own experience that it runs smoothly with parallels/XP ; So anyone still hesitating over 1.6 or 1.8 save the money, moreover if you'll be using it for what I guess the MBA is intended for a perfect travel companion next to your main machine

It is my first Apple but so far I just confirm THIS IS GREAT !!:)

9. cenetti macrumors 6502

well I guess that depends on what you consider "smooth"

unity mode is NOT smooth on my mac pro (2 x 2.8, 8 core, 6gb ram, 2x750gb raid0) machine. And you telling me, its smooth with your 1.6 2 core air...lol
    :rolleyes:

10. ddd269 macrumors regular

ddd269

Must be Fusion, :confused:(unity=coherence, right?) because on my MBP with Parallels in coherence mode, it runs really smooth (no skips, hiccups with video). With the MBA, I see a bit of roughness when I scroll and when something video intensive goes on.

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I have both Parallels and Fusion. I choose to use Parallels.

Unity is Coherence,

However there are two tiny differences.

Unity = when you drag a window is slightly smoother, but then everything else is a bit slow and sluggish after a short while

Coherence = slightly un-smooth window dragging compared to window mode, but it doesn't get as sluggish as Unity mode and seems to run away perfectly.

I prefer parallels interface / snapshots and other features too.

12. ddd269 macrumors regular

ddd269

Haven't tried Fusion, but have been using Parallels for about a year and I agree with you... Parallels is great!