MBA 1.6 or MBA 2.2 or rMBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Abigailh96, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Abigailh96 macrumors newbie

i am looking to replace my old MacBook, since it refuses to run more than one app at a time. Could someone please explain to me, in non-highly-technical language, the benefits of these respective models, mainly in terms of processing speed? I'm a college student, I do basic web browsing and word processing, with some use of numbers and keynote, and I don't really do video editing. Is it worth it to upgrade the processor on the MBA, if I have 8 GB either way? And, given my limited college-student budget, and that I don't really care about screen quality, would the rMBP be worth it for my needs?

Also, how does the i5 and i7 and Turboboost figure into all this? Again, I'm not exactly computer-savvy.

Thanks so much!

2. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

Based on your stated uses, you will not be able to tell the difference between any of the current MB/MBA processors. Again, based on your uses, You don't need to upgrade RAM - 4GB will suffice, although obviously 8GB isn't going to hurt anything. I would consider the new retina MacBook rather than the rMBP, but the screen on the MBA 13" is also very good - try to take a look at them side by side in an Apple Store or at another reseller.

Turbo Boost allows single threaded programs to run at a higher clock speed - think games, although there are other cases where this would apply. Not relevant to your uses.

i5 / i7 - i7 will have better performance at the same clock speed and is usually clocked higher to begin with. For the uses you have listed, the difference will not be perceptible.

All of the above is based on your description of your own use. Keep in mind that college is a time of change. You may decide that you have an interest is engineering, computer science or film. Your needs could change pretty rapidly. Take a look at the resale market for Macs - you can probably buy what you need now, then sell it for a good part of the original price to subsidize an upgrade if your needs change.

3. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

The old rule "Never buy the first version of a new Apple product" is still true. The next version of the macbook will be better but now it's not a computer to purchase for the basic user as it's too specialized, limited and expensive for what you get. The macbook air is still the golden ticket if the macbook pro is too expensive.