MBA 11" i5 fans on a lot!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by will0407, Aug 3, 2011.

1. will0407 macrumors 6502a

I have a 2011 11" i5. The fans seem to be coming on an awful lot through normal use. For example, I was just watching a movie in quicktime, with safari, iTunes and mail open (all open, but no windows for each active). and my fans were going at over 6000. I have stat and the CPU monitor wasn't showing any strenuous activity.

I assume this isn't normal. Any fixes?

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

Is the computer indexing? Look at the activity monitor.

3. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

You should see how often they come on with an i7!

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I have an i7, mine don't come on that often - or at least audibly they are not noticeable anyway.

5. jackyyeow macrumors 6502

My friend who has the i7 13" reported that fan doesn't even kick in while watching 1080p youtube. But he said the machine run hot and fan come on often during the first 2 days. After that, the machine seems to cool down and fan rarely kick in, not until the CPU temperature reaches 80C.

6. Smileyboy macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

7. will0407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

it's not indexing. I've had it since last Tuesday, I was expecting them to 'calm down' a bit but as soon as it starts something a little taxing they start up, and then take a long time to slow down.

I noticed they started yesterday when it started a back up (it was an incremental back up, not the first one)

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Have you checked Activity Monitor in your utility folder to see what process is taxing the cpu and causing your fans to run ?

Also define 'a little taxing' as I wouldn't have thought a time machine backup to be anyway near the definition 'taxing'...

9. will0407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'll run it next time the fans start blazing again. Currently running they're fine.

To be honest, I don't think anything I do should 'tax' this machine. All I do is surf the net, watch movies...'a casual user'. NOTHING processor intensive.

10. ZipZap macrumors 601

Thats an awefully high RPM for 132F and 94% idle. My MBA 2010 13" can run 2000 RPMs at that temp. Dont wait too long, an exchange might be in your future.

11. will0407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

fans are currently on at 6300rpm. 94% cpu idle!

[​IMG]

On a side note...if I did take this into the apple store, what am i supposed to tell them? Yes, I know the obvious, the fans seem to come on when they shouldn't, but I can't pin point what makes them come on so surely without being able to demo the issue they wouldn't replace it?

12. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Reset smc

If you're within 14 days they aren't going to say no to an exchange as you are in the no questions asked return policy.

13. will0407, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011

will0407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok ill try it now and then see how it goes today.

edit: the apple instructions say to press shift-alt-cmd-power at the same time, then let go and press power again. I did this but it booted up by itself without me needing to press the power button again. Have I done it right?

Also, I've put a 256GB ssd in and no longer have the 128GB it came with so not sure if apple would switch my ssd over in store.

update: its definitely firefox that gets the fans going. Not sure what it is as a rarely use it, but everytime i do the fans start going.

14. MirroRobin macrumors member

First of all in order to reset smc I think you need to press ctrl+left shift+power and option (alt), not cmd.

How's your room temperature? I've come to find that it can have a great effect on my macbook's fan performance.

15. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

The fan will never be completely off - it's low end speed is 2000 rpm, and it will always be running.

16. Grimmy macrumors newbie

My fans on my 11" i5 come on quite a lot during normal usage - I generally tend to find it's because of Flash.

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

That's a PRAM reset not a SMC reset.

To reset the SMC or the System Management Controller you have to do the following.

Turn the computer off. Make sure the laptop is plug in the power supply and the power cable is plug in a power source. Press and hold the following keys at the same time the ‘Power’ button + ‘Shift’ key + ‘Alt|Option’ Key. Release the keys and turn the Macbook Air laptop on by pressing the power button again.

18. h00ligan macrumors 68030

That's not correct either.

From apples page.

Note: Portable computers that have a battery you should not remove on your own include MacBook Pro (Early 2009) and later, all models of MacBook Air, and MacBook (Late 2009).
    Shut down the computer.
    Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
    On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
    Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
    Press the power button to turn on the computer.
    Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

19. Brenzo macrumors regular

After two weeks, last night while editing photos in Aperture was the first time I noticed the fans running loud.