MBA 11-inch processor throttling issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by tb2me, Apr 4, 2011.

1. tb2me macrumors member

Hey, guys.

I've currently got a base-model 2009 MBA (the last update before the new designs), which I've had for about a year after Apple swapped out my original 2008 MBA that was consistently having logic board and overheating issues. I'm considering purchasing a maxed-out 11 inch MBA, most because of the awesome form-factor (I travel for a living, so smaller and lighter is always better) and the fact that my current machine still doesn't perform particularly well. The overheat/processor throttling down issues aren't as prevalent as they were with my first MBA, but they're still present and can be a nuisance. Has anybody had similar problems with the new MBA 11? I've seen that most benchmarks put the new machines just slightly "slower" than the old 13-inchers, but frankly it's not general speed as much as it is the tendency of the computer to simply grind to a halt and refuse to do anything at all that bothers me. Is this still an issue for Airs, or have they solved that with the new designs?

(PS I probably won't have the cash to buy until early summer, so I have my fingers crossed for a June 2011 update to Sandybridge just like everybody else :) )

2. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

I had an original MBA that was plagued by the same issues your talking about. After quite a few Genius Bar visits, they replaced mine with the one in my sig.

It performs flawlessly. I've had it for about 2 months now, and have heard the fans come on maybe 5 times. They got this one right.