MBA - 11" or 13"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DigitalScribble, Mar 16, 2011.

1. DigitalScribble macrumors newbie

Alright. It's my first post (I've been a long, long time lurker: +1 years! Maybe 2.) but I'm in the market to update from a 2008 Macbook to a MBA.

I use a blended work arrangement at home - PC and Mac to be versed in both, but I'm looking for a machine that is portable and can easily take my SD camera card when I travel. Quick photo editing. Nothing major. Aside from that, I'm your typical e-mail, web browsing and document editing person. I might use Netflix or Slingbox when traveling and that's where I wonder if 2 GB is enough.

I've heard that some places have the 4GB version in stock. Could they also order and ship to store possibly?

The 11.6 is very tempting for the fact I haven't heard many issues about it when compared to the 13. But the 13 has an SD slot which would make it easier when I take photos. Both would be easy to travel with (I have a nice messenger bag that I use for all my airline carry on stuff.

2. Cole JM macrumors regular

I had the 13, I thought it was EXTREMELY portable, if you can afford it get the 13.

3. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

13" all the way. I haven't had any issues with mine and to be honest, I haven't seen others having that many issues either.

5. DigitalScribble thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm hoping to make the upgrade this weekend.

But the next (and important) question is the ram. Do you all have 4 GB or the stock 2?

6. Cole JM macrumors regular

2 was fine for me. Maybe I would go with 4.

7. danielveeee macrumors regular

i have 2, but i do the bare minimum and its fine.. i never even get close to 2 gb

but to be safe 4gb isnt a bad idea

8. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Absolutely 4, you'll be disappointed down the road if you don't and it's only $99.

9. hsenor macrumors newbie

10. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Go for 4gb for sure!

as for which size... I haven't owned either... but IMO if you own any other computers I'd go with the 11 on sheer size... the 13 feels exactly the same size as a MBP 13 inch to me. Yeah it's half the thickness but in my bag that doesn't make any difference.

Asking around I've heard the Ultimate (1.6ghz, 4mb RAM) 11-inch is the way to go. It'll still play 1080p youtube videos without a stutter and I actually enjoy the 16X9 screen more than the 16X10 of the 13 inch when I go test it out.

As for the SD card slot... yeah that one is kind of a bummer. I'd have liked if they stuck one on the 11 inch but it's not a deal breaker for me personally.

11. DigitalScribble thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll test both this weekend and see how I go with the ram. They're thankfully going to quote me a price on the MB No SD slot? That's why I carry a very skinny, very thin USB cord. :)

12. SammySlim macrumors member

I got the 11/2 with the 128 GB drive. It really depends on your portability issues. I prefer smaller and lighter (I know it's only .6 lbs difference) but I'm happy with the 11. Really small but perfect for my needs. Honestly, you really can't go wrong with either. I run virtual machines on mine with only 2 GB of RAM too.

Cheers

13. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

14. dansf macrumors newbie

we bought an mba 11" as a upgrade for our toshiba laptop, the viewing area is a bit small than we thought. I would recommend going with mba 13"

15. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

got a refurbed 11.6" with 4gb for $929

great portable laptop...

SD card is not an issue for me

16. ozred macrumors 6502

Upon release I placed 2 BTO orders, an 11" & 13" with 4GB each. If I was to suggest one for you it's the 13" in a flash, no hesitation.

The 11" is too much like a netbook.

Cheers :)

17. hajime macrumors 68030

I think iPad and iPad2 cannot play flash. Please correct me if I am wrong.

18. DigitalScribble thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm back! After getting a price quoted on my current MB, it looks like I'm going with the MBA 11 with 4GB of RAM since they have to order it anyways. :)

It came out just below $1,000 which isn't bad at all.

I currently have a 11in netbook - PC. I wouldn't want anything smaller from experience.

As for the iPad? I got it through my employer on discount. It's great for some things like video watching, news reading and such. But.. I wouldn't use it for everything. When I travel, I need (not want, need) a smaller laptop.

P.S. No, the iPads can't play flash.

19. KratosKilla macrumors regular

Where did you get it for that price? Do you get a student discount?

20. DigitalScribble thread starter macrumors newbie

There's a local company that is an Apple seller/reseller (been in business for... 20+ years now). They quoted me a price for the MB, which I can apply to the MBA. It's not like you can bring it in and get cash though. It's only if you're upgrading, like I am.

I don't know if other resellers do the same, but I find that this is easier for me. Less fuss, less hassle.

21. scottgroovez macrumors regular

22. Staindsoul macrumors 6502

Staindsoul