MBA 11" Screen brightness fading in and out

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by roccobladr, Jul 29, 2011.

1. roccobladr macrumors 6502

I just noticed that my brightness keeps auto adjusting going from bright to dim just about every 30 seconds or so. I assume I have it set to auto adjust, but why would it keep doing this?

Anyone else have this problem?

2. scarred macrumors 6502a

One of the first things I did was turn auto brightness off. Much happier controlling the brightness manually.

Although, with that said, I don't recall it auto adjusting itself that often... but when it did, I was annoyed.

3. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

you just answered your own question

4. roccobladr thread starter macrumors 6502

Is auto adjust really that faulty? It's happening in a room where theres no lights on or any windows open to let changing sunlight in.

5. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

hmm.. well that's a different story now. i believe the sensor is built into the camera.. try gently wiping the camera lens and see if that helps.

6. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

I actually do have this issue on my 13 inch MBA in the same room, same lighting and no change of angle or anything - tis a bit annoying.

7. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

You're not going mad. I saw the same behavior last night. Only one light to my right, never changed, never fluctuated, yet the screen was going in and out. I find that it's oversensitive...WAY oversensitive.

And it's just the 2011 Air. Neither one of my Pros does it, my iMac doesn't do it, and the 2010 Air doesn't do it.

8. astr0 macrumors newbie

Yup, I've noticed this happening on my 13" 2011 Air today. Keeps fading in and out without any changing light from outside.

Hopefully a MacOS fix is on it's way from Apple!

9. B.Chang macrumors member

It seems like the new Macbook Airs are starting to have a myriad of issues.

Cracking screens, inconsistent SSDs/Displays, screen bleeding, and now oversensitive light sensors.

10. rosemary1 macrumors regular

My screen dims based on inactivity - is this was you're referring to, or is it changing while you're actively using it?

11. astr0 macrumors newbie

We're referring to active use, rosemary.