MBA 11" shuts down suddenly!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by the7th1, Dec 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. the7th1 macrumors member

Hi, My MacBookAir 11" Mid 2012 running OS X 10.10.1 has suddenly shut down a few times over the past few days. The screen will freeze for about a whole minute and then it will go black. As in out! Hitting the power button will bring it back to life, and I can proceed as normal. Both times it has happened with the charger unplugged. This is a serious issue as I may lose some work every time it happens. The first time I was working in Numbers and today I was opening a PDF file in Safari as it happened... So there is no pattern there... Has this happened to others...? Thx in advance! PS! Running Diagnostics reveals nothing...

2. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

I had a issue where closing the lid would cause the Mac to crash sometimes. They had me reset the PRAM and SMC when I called it in. It might help you as well.

PRAM:
    1. Shut down your machine :)apple: -> Shutdown).
    2. Press the power button and then press Command + Option + P + R. Make sure the keys are pressed before the gray screen comes up or it won’t work. You will hear the startup sound.
    3. Keep holding those keys down until your Mac reboots again and you hear the startup sound. Let go.
    4. Let your Mac startup normally.

SMC:
    1. Shut down your machine :)apple: -> Shutdown).
    2. Keep the MagSafe adapter plugged in.
    3. Press at the same time Shift + Option + Control (on the left side of the machine) and the power button. Let go.
    4. Turn your machine back on.

3. the7th1 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for the reply... I have now tried that AND a complete recovery of the system from a back-up... So it really should be all fresh and crisp by now... We'll see how the next days go! Thanks again for your reply! :):apple:

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.