MBA 11'' size for photos?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by RawKurd, Jun 16, 2011.

1. RawKurd macrumors newbie

I'm thinking about getting an MBA 11''. Can someone tell me if the 11'' screen is good enough for seeing and editing high resolution photos or should I go with the MBP 13''?

Thanks

2. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

That depends on what sort of editing you are doing. iPhoto type stuff - the MBA 11" maybe enough. IMO serious editing is better on the 13" screen.

If you want more serious photo editing programs then the MBP 13" would be better long term I think. Also you did not address where you would be storing the images you are working on. Would it be on the built-in HDD or would you be using an external HDD for your library of photos?

Love the size and weight of the MBA's (own the 10/2010 13") - and the new ones may address my lament on processing speed. Would be nice to replace my iMac with something faster - yet portable with instant on.

3. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

You do realise the MBP 13" has less horizontal pixels than the MBA 11" and barely more vertical pixels ? That's a seriously flawed suggestion you just made there.

Screen size in inches means nothing. Resolution is what it's about. A 17" screen and a 13" displaying the same 1280x800 resolution would both show the same amount of information.

4. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Yes I do....

In the end I would rather have lower screen resolution on a larger screen to better see and work with detailed editing than to have a higher res screen that is harder on the eyes.

YMMV, but I would rather have the MBP 13" and the power and lower res screen for heavy editing on the go...

5. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Editing is where I would rather have more pixels to have more information on screen, rather than being stuck scrolling all the time.

Different strokes I guess. The power of the MBA is sufficient, the MBP is not required.

6. Oldandintheway macrumors member

I use the 11" MBA for photos and the screen size is fine. I usually enlarge portions of photos for detailed work anyway, but you can definitely see the whole photo enough for editing levels, contrast and the like.

7. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

He could add an external monitor for the times he's doing serious editing.

8. MoreAwesomeDanU macrumors regular

MoreAwesomeDanU

if you are getting it for professional use and hardcore editing, then i would suggest you looking into an option with a bigger screen and more processing power. If its just for viewing photos while traveling, and making minor edits, then the 11" is perfect!