Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
UPDATE:

After updating to 10.6.7, the choppiness returned. I am now convinced 10.6.7 is not optimized.

To all who posted here with no problems, did you update to 10.6.7?

Yeah, mine works fine. And Apple stores are always on the latest OS, so I'm beginning to thing it's your internet connection. Take your laptop to starbucks or apple store and connect to their internet and see if it does it.

donster28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
Yeah, mine works fine. And Apple stores are always on the latest OS, so I'm beginning to thing it's your internet connection. Take your laptop to starbucks or apple store and connect to their internet and see if it does it.

It's not my internet connection. The Genius and I tested my machine using Apple's wireless connection with the same choppy results.

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
It's not my internet connection. The Genius and I tested my machine using Apple's wireless connection with the same choppy results.

That's really strange. It's working for me and others, so it's got to be an issue with something you're installing.... maybe the way one of your apps is interacting with the OS.

The only thing left for you to try is clean update then go to 10.6.7 naked, then trying it BEFORE installing your apps. You'd noted installing your apps then updating to 10.6.7 so that's all that can be left.

EDIT: I just noticed you said you're on a store-swapped unit. Stores only carry the 1.4ghz\2GB RAM model. THAT alone could be the differentiating factor. I'm on 4GB of ram, because many of today's HD requires more than 2GB. I purposely custom-ordered mine with 4GB knowing that 2GB ram really isn't good enough for video playback without issues when combined with a 1.4ghz processor.

I'm guessing that's your issue, and unfortunately it's not one that can be remedied without replacing the entire laptop. I'm not sure why anyone would have bought 2GB when 4GB was available for $100 more, especially given the RAM cannot be upgraded on MB Air.

donster28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
That's really strange. It's working for me and others, so it's got to be an issue with something you're installing.... maybe the way one of your apps is interacting with the OS.

The only thing left for you to try is clean update then go to 10.6.7 naked, then trying it BEFORE installing your apps. You'd noted installing your apps then updating to 10.6.7 so that's all that can be left.

EDIT: I just noticed you said you're on a store-swapped unit. Stores only carry the 1.4ghz\2GB RAM model. THAT alone could be the differentiating factor. I'm on 4GB of ram, because many of today's HD requires more than 2GB. I purposely custom-ordered mine with 4GB knowing that 2GB ram really isn't good enough for video playback without issues when combined with a 1.4ghz processor.

I'm guessing that's your issue, and unfortunately it's not one that can be remedied without replacing the entire laptop. I'm not sure why anyone would have bought 2GB when 4GB was available for $100 more, especially given the RAM cannot be upgraded on MB Air.

I will do another fresh install and will see from there...thanks.

FYI: The stores do carry the ultimate 11" configuration @ 1.6/4. :)

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
I will do another fresh install and will see from there...thanks.

FYI: The stores do carry the ultimate 11" configuration @ 1.6/4. :)

Not here in the US they don't. Guess it takes so long to ship to Canadaland they just carry them in the stores. lol. I'm in San Francisco and the stores only carry the 2GB RAM models.

Might be a canada issue, hehe... j\k :) But in reality it COULD be... because content delivery providers are geographic, so you may be going through a different CDN provider than me, so my testing good doesn't necessarily mean it's not the server then.

Let us know how the reinstall goes. If that doesn't fix it, sounds like you might just have to find a new place to watch movies :)

donster28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
Not here in the US they don't. Guess it takes so long to ship to Canadaland they just carry them in the stores. lol. I'm in San Francisco and the stores only carry the 2GB RAM models.

Might be a canada issue, hehe... j\k :) But in reality it COULD be... because content delivery providers are geographic, so you may be going through a different CDN provider than me, so my testing good doesn't necessarily mean it's not the server then.

Let us know how the reinstall goes. If that doesn't fix it, sounds like you might just have to find a new place to watch movies :)

Hehehe... I always thought the US Stores carry the same as Canada's, except of course you guys get the new iPhones and iPads first. :mad:;)

I am doing a fresh install as we speak. I will not do any installations and updates but will install flash so I can play the video and will go from there.

BTW, the units I've been using were both manufactured in March 2011 with the faster upgraded SSD's.

Update soon.

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Hehehe... I always thought the US Stores carry the same as Canada's, except of course you guys get the new iPhones and iPads first. :mad:;)

I am doing a fresh install as we speak. I will not do any installations and updates but will install flash so I can play the video and will go from there.

BTW, the units I've been using were both manufactured in March 2011 with the faster upgraded SSD's.

Update soon.

I had mine replaced March 31 (ordered CTO on release day, and after 4 months half the screen started flickering), so they just built me a new one and re-shipped from Ling Ling in Shanghai, hehe. So I assume I have the latest SSD they're using as well. We probably have twin sister systems, haha.

I love canada apple stores. Whenever I want to buy an apple product I fly up to Edmonton because the tax there is 5% and there's no California recycling fee, and the iPhones sold up there are factory unlocked, so I bring back 2 or 3 so I can sell them and use the profit to pay for my flight\hotel. Gotta love Canada :)

donster28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
I had mine replaced March 31 (ordered CTO on release day, and after 4 months half the screen started flickering), so they just built me a new one and re-shipped from Ling Ling in Shanghai, hehe. So I assume I have the latest SSD they're using as well. We probably have twin sister systems, haha.

I love canada apple stores. Whenever I want to buy an apple product I fly up to Edmonton because the tax there is 5% and there's no California recycling fee, and the iPhones sold up there are factory unlocked, so I bring back 2 or 3 so I can sell them and use the profit to pay for my flight\hotel. Gotta love Canada :)

Hehehe... I wish we didn't have the 13% tax here in Toronto though. :(

It's just a sad thought that I won't be able to play these videos full screen on these newer machines, until Apple is notified and puts out an update. I know the hardware is capable but this still sucks.

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Hehehe... I wish we didn't have the 13% tax here in Toronto though. :(

It's just a sad thought that I won't be able to play these videos full screen on these newer machines, until Apple is notified and puts out an update. I know the hardware is capable but this still sucks.

Well it's just like iPhone and iPad... Apple is alienating more and more users. I was an iPhone customer from the start, and now that Android is better, I switched. I'm so much happier with my Android phone than I ever was with iPhone.

Now apple is doing the same with iPad and iOS. Now that video is evolving, Apple needs to either keep up, or get out. People want multimedia capabilities. My iPad doesn't play flash, yet my Android phone plays flash better than my full Apple Laptop. Sad, but a sign of the times.

Apple blew it back in the 80s... they're doing it again now.

donster28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
Well it's just like iPhone and iPad... Apple is alienating more and more users. I was an iPhone customer from the start, and now that Android is better, I switched. I'm so much happier with my Android phone than I ever was with iPhone.

Now apple is doing the same with iPad and iOS. Now that video is evolving, Apple needs to either keep up, or get out. People want multimedia capabilities. My iPad doesn't play flash, yet my Android phone plays flash better than my full Apple Laptop. Sad, but a sign of the times.

Apple blew it back in the 80s... they're doing it again now.

I hope they get it straightened out hehe...

Anyways, here's my update:

I have 10.6.5 freshly installed and it plays the video like butter! I am testing to play my own mp4 videos that didn't do well before. Will update again.

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
I hope they get it straightened out hehe...

Anyways, here's my update:

I have 10.6.5 freshly installed and it plays the video like butter! I am testing to play my own mp4 videos that didn't do well before. Will update again.

I haven't noticed anything amazing between 10.6.5 and 10.6.7, maybe just live with 10.6.5? If I were unable to view my site of choice I'd take the site over some crappy bug fixes.

Tho I'm a bit agitated with Apple at the moment, lol

donster28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
I haven't noticed anything amazing between 10.6.5 and 10.6.7, maybe just live with 10.6.5? If I were unable to view my site of choice I'd take the site over some crappy bug fixes.

Tho I'm a bit agitated with Apple at the moment, lol

Just curious, what's the manufacturing month of your MBA?

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Ahh... Thanks. :)

I didn't notice nor hear anything about a "new SSD" tho... the SSD technology really hasn't changed in 6 months, so not sure where you learned of "new ssd" ... maybe a change in supplier, but not technology\speed.

donster28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
I didn't notice nor hear anything about a "new SSD" tho... the SSD technology really hasn't changed in 6 months, so not sure where you learned of "new ssd" ... maybe a change in supplier, but not technology\speed.

There was a thread here not long ago about it. As I can recall, Apple was using slower Toshibas at first then started using Samsungs with model numbers that start with an A. People did some benchmarks which helped prove this. Check yours. :)

donster28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
UPDATE:

My own MP4 files run great on 10.6.5.

I am now updating to 10.6.7 but omitted the Java and Safari updates to see if this gives me a different story.

donster28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
UPDATE:

It installed the Safari update even though I checked it off (????) Now the problem comes back.

I just can't pinpoint now if it's 10.6.7 or the latest Safari update. Damn.

In any case, I can't work with this until Apple does some fix. :mad:

I'm contemplating a refund.

DaveOZ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
Just go back to 10.6.5 and leave it there until the next update. I'm sure it will be addressed.

donster28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
Just go back to 10.6.5 and leave it there until the next update. I'm sure it will be addressed.

I'm just worried that it's a small majority of people experiencing this right now and it will never get addressed, so I'm not willing to find out the hard way.

Besides, other problems might pop up if don't upgrade. I'm not comfortable leaving an outdated OS on.

channelinspire

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Dallas, TX
Mine is choppy too. I have a 11/1.6/4/128 and it is unwatchable.

What apps are you running? I only have activity monitor and Safari running. I have dropbox and evernote, but they are closed and synced.

donster28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

No other apps running except for Safari of course. I determined it can be either the OSX or the Safari updates that are the culprit. It ran great on a fresh install of 10.6.5

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
UPDATE:

It installed the Safari update even though I checked it off (????) Now the problem comes back.

try firefox 4 beta

donster28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

bella92108 said:
UPDATE:

try firefox 4 beta

My MBA is now on it's way to refurb heaven... In other words, it's been returned.

Thanks for all your input but please continue to update if yours exhibit the same problems.

channelinspire

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Dallas, TX
Just went back to 10.6.5 and Safari 5.0.2.

Now the HD video plays fine. I still have all the same apps (dropbox, evernote, etc.) installed and no issues now.

I was having issues playing Hulu Desktop files in HD without choppiness, but that is not a problem anymore. They are playing perfectly.

Not sure if it is 10.6.7 or Safari yet, but I'll try to find upgrade one at a time to test.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.