MBA 11" users - Any trouble with the 2-finger contextual menu?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Tootles, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Tootles macrumors member

I'm accustomed to pointing at web links and then holding down the button to get the contextual menu. I was doing that with my previous laptop, running Mac OSX Panther (as I was with every OSX Mac prior to it). With the MBA running Lion, I can't do that anymore because Apple requires 2 fingers to be down while holding down the button. I'm trying to adapt to the new way but, it seems that about 70% of the time, the menu doesn't come up for me because my second finger is not within an invisible realm of the trackpad's 2-finger sensor. I have to point to what I want, then pick up my finger and move it to the middle of the trackpad, then put both fingers down and hold the button down. It's considerably less intuitive than the 1-finger contextual menu was. It's very tedious as well. I'm thinking that the 2-finger method might be easier on the 13" MBA because its trackpad is deeper in length. However I think I'm happy with everything else about 11" MBA and don't want to have to switch to the 13" just because of this issue. Are there any users of the 11" MBA with advice they can give me?

2. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

I have no issues with it, I have been used to it ever since I got my Magic Trackpad for my Mac Pro a year ago. Two finger as right click is infinitely better than click and hold, which always had me accidentally clicking many times on my old iBook back in the day (to the point where I never used it, and instead would hold down the option key when I needed it). I disagree with your comment about it being less intuitive, the new gesture is actually more intuitive.

You'll get used to it in no time.

3. Tootles thread starter macrumors member

But why does the menu not come up, even though both fingers (index and middle) are on the trackpad? Even after having owned the 11" MBA since the day it was introduced (8-9 days, now), I'm having to try as many as 4 times before seeing the menu come up.

I don't know how the one-finger method could be troublesome, since it's not relevantly different from point-and-click.

4. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Dunno maybe take it to the Apple store, I have no problem doing the two finger click, it works every time for me on my 11"