MBA 11" Viewing Angle: User Opinions Requested

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Mojo1, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

Jul 26, 2011
    I read the supplemental Anandtech MBA 11" review this morning. The reviewer comments about the relatively restricted vertical viewing angle of the MBA 11, particularly when using the Mac on a desk.

Anyone care to comment about their experience using the MBA 11" in this regard? I'm waiting to decide between the 11" and 13" after I have the opportunity to try both Macs in a store. I want to be sure that my 57 year old eyes can handle the 11" display; it hadn't dawned on me that the viewing angle might also be a problem.
  2. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

Nov 6, 2008
    i have the Samsung panel, which Anand tested to have slightly better vertical viewing angles. i find that when tilted all the way back, the colors start to distort. this is not that noticeable with lighter backgrounds, but you'll see it when watching a movie or with darker backgrounds. i was watching the trailer for Captain America, and when i tilted all the way back, the images got this photo negative effect to it. tilted towards you/forward.. it's better, but you still can see colors wash out a bit, but this is at an angle that you'll rarely, if ever, use. horizontal angles are much better. my girlfriend and i watched a few episodes of Lost on Netflix without problems. overall.. i don't find myself adjusting the viewing angle much, and i'm spoiled already by the gorgeous PLS display of my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1. the MBA's TN panel isn't close to the PLS display, but i also find that it's much better than most of the other similar notebooks out there.
  3. Roller macrumors 68020

Jun 25, 2003
    Agree with radiohead14. I have no complaints with viewing angle on my 11" MBA. The display is certainly far better than it was on my MacBook, which was pretty bad when viewed off center.

(BTW, my eyes are a year or so older than yours and I've had no problems using the computer for extended periods.)
  4. FieldingMellish Suspended

Jun 20, 2010
    Mojo, nothing like being there and trying it out as you mentioned. Specs only tell part of the story. You have to see for yourself; the human element has it's own specs on an individual person by person basis (posture, eyesight, etc.) And there are the application specs that a person chooses or needs to run on it.

I'm of similar age and find the 11 enjoyable to use; it's a paradigm shifter, but have the relief of other Macs when my needs require more screen space. I don't know if I would have gotten the 11 as a sole machine, primarily due to graphic design apps that feature screen hogging pallets. Not that it is unfeasible, but more fatiguing. Zooming in and out gets old. And when zoomed in, sometimes I need to see more of the surrounding context.

The MBA 11 is perpetually with me, especially on the days loaded down with gear and seeing clients. I no longer have to contemplate whether to bring the laptop or not.