MBA 11" vs iPad 3?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mark28, Jul 22, 2012.

1. mark28 macrumors 68000

I bought the iPad 3 but i"m having second thoughts about not buying a MBA.

I already have a 15" MBP so that was one of the main reason I felt against the 11" MBA. And I found the 11" MBA not to be that much lighter than a MBP while the weight difference between the iPad and the MBP was huge.

So what do you guys think is the best companion if someone already has a 15" MBP?

2. byziphone4 macrumors member

Given the fact that you already have a MBP that does everything a MBA can do...I would say you made a fine decision in getting the iPad.

I have a both a MBA and a iPad and they go great together. I use Splashtop Remote for when I want to access my Air from my iPad. Which makes this ipad the best companion to any computer.

The one thing I want though is a MBP because of having more power in a machine...which you already have with yours.

3. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Why are you having second thoughts? Also what are your requirements when away from the pro?

It's hard to say as everyone has different needs. For me, I had a zaggfolio at one point. I think that was a good combination with ipad. If you need to create content, but not use specific desktop apps.

When away from main I need to be able to access SSH and other sys admin type tools, etc.. Depends on yours tasks.

In my opinion though 15 is still portable. I personally can't see a need for two laptops.

4. glen e macrumors 68030

About every week an iPad vs Mac air post here...do a search...they do diff things...apples and oranges .....

5. moabal macrumors member

I look at this argument differently. The iPad is an entertainment device for casual use where as the Macbook Air in every sense of the word is a full powered laptop computer.

The iPad can never replace a Macbook Air. In high school during senior year I used an iPad with a Zagg Keyboard Case which worked great! However, Mac OSX is simply more powerful in many ways. If you are worried about portability then a 11 inch and even a 13 inch is really a great compromise between an iPad and a Macbook Pro.

Also, if you look at price buying an iPad is not worth it in the long run. iPad's run iOS like iPhones. Most iOS devices besides the 3gs live through 2 upgrade cycles in 2 years. After that if you want the new features you have to buy one every two years. So if you have an iPhone you buy one every two years. This is practically same for an iPad! Spending $500 every two years. When you can get a Macbook Air which can easily last 4-5 years for $1000 or so.

In summary, you can do more, and get your money's worth if you get a Macbook Air. If you are rich an iPad is a great supplement ddevice for entertainment but nothing more.

6. glen e macrumors 68030

Once again, this is all thru your eyes as you pronounce the "way it must be".....

Sorry not that way. For road warriors, an iPad is far easier to carry for presentations, for presenting information standing up and using with a projector. It is hardly a toy inspecting PDF'S at a job site, being used by pilots for flight information or at a nurses ICU station....

I am currently running a drive event program for BMW customers at BMW dealers. We use 5 iPads to register people and process their disclaimers, it would not work to hand a customer a MBA to register, the iPads do it perfectly....

7. Tfb macrumors member

I think the thing is that if the OP had such a specific practical use for the specific functionality of the iPad, they would have mentioned it (if not just known it and not had this question in the first place).

That said I kind of think the OP didn't really give enough information. Why are you having second thoughts? What are the times when you wish you had the MBA?

8. stchman macrumors 6502a

Me personally I find tablets to be simply toys for entertainment. A laptop will be far more useful IMO.

Remember, this is my opinion.