MBA 13" & 128 GB SD card

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by FixedGearRob, Feb 10, 2012.

1. FixedGearRob macrumors newbie

This has probably been asked before, but I was thinking of buying a 128GB sd card to store my music on. Will the MBA have a problem reading this size SD card?

Thanks,

Rob

2. 184550 Guest

I believe it is technically able to support up to a 2TB SDXC card.

3. aleni macrumors 68020

is it reliable like SSD? coz it sucks losing the whole library.

4. chadua macrumors member

Doesn't really matter if you keep a backup like everyone should.

5. FixedGearRob thread starter macrumors newbie

I have them all on my network drive at home. This is just so when I am traveling I can have them with me. Sweet - Time to look for a good deal on one now.

6. B Gallagher macrumors regular

Will Time Machine backup a Mac-OS-Extended-formatted SD card which is plugged in? I know from experience that this works for external drives (i.e. inside an enclosure), but not for USB drives.

7. damnyooneek macrumors 6502

I have a 64gb sd card in mine and it works well for keeping data and music files but it is not fast as a ssd.

----------

No it doesn't back up the sd card.

8. Newfiebill macrumors regular

Newfiebill

SD Card Sticks out

I just wish that the SD card pushed all the way in the Air like my camera. As it is, it sticks out about half way. I know that these Airs are not very thick where the keyboard meets the outer edge, but it would have been nice to leave it in there all the time.

9. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I'd also be interested in hearing anyone's experience with SD cards. I already had a 32GB class 4 card, so I have it in my 13" MBA right now and am copying about 10,000 files (28GB) of photos from an external USB drive. It's taking forever, looks like it will be about 6 hours. Copying from an external USB drive to the SSD is MUCH faster.

I wonder, is the card slot actually connected to the USB bus inside the computer, or does it have some kind of dedicated connection? Will do some testing once I've got all my files moved over. Yes Newfiebill, I completely agree with you! The protruding SD card is probably my only complaint about the MBA hardware.