MBA 13" 2010 vs MBA 13" 2011 SSD Write Noise ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by macbedhead, Feb 2, 2012.

1. macbedhead macrumors member

I just noticed I can hear the SSD write noise after upgrading to the new 2011 model.
    That can't be right ? ! No moving parts etc ! Yet when I put my ear near the keyboard I hear a high pitch fast writing noise like you'd get an a normal HD.
    I never had that noise that I was aware of on the last model.

Hope it is not some soon to be dead compressor on the logic board.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

SSDs don't make noise. You're probably hearing your fan.

3. macbedhead thread starter macrumors member

Sounds very "digital" and on/off/on/off "tat tat tat tat" like my old HDs but much quieter...sure its not the fan as I can distinguish the difference.
    And yet I know SSDs have no moving parts.

My god my hearing must be great,I'm hearing quantum probabilities happening on my replacement mac.

(Apple I love you for giving me the new model at no extra charge after my old one could not be fixed)....just hope this one has no issues.

4. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Thats impossible...it is a series of chips on a board...that would be like saying you can hear your ram.

5. warfed macrumors regular

Well there is such a thing as CPU whine... so you never know.

6. macbedhead thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I think it will be i5 whine vs the old core2duo....long as it is not some compressor about to pop.

7. polee macrumors 6502a

polee

The core 2 duo does not whine right? I have not heard it on my late 2010 macbook air.

Is there a whine present on the 2011 macbook air model?

8. Astrofox macrumors member

Sometimes components can interfere with speakers, so you might be hearing certain frequencies through that. I havent heard anything from my 2011 in a completely quiet room though (apart from the fan if it kicks in) so you either have canine hearing or, if others can hear it, perhaps a small main-board issue.

9. gentlefury macrumors 68030

What would cause that? Expanding metals? Its a series of switches and transistors....nothing is moving....it shouldn't make any sound except the fan spinning.

10. atMac macrumors 6502

its not uncommon for any electronic device to make noise. Generally its caused by the voltage in the part not being correct. Some computer makers add sound deadening inside their machines to prevent users from being able to hear it.

Some people can hear it, others can't it really depends on how good your hearing is in the upper range. I work in an IT office and it drives me crazy all day that I can hear it and others can't.

11. calvol macrumors 6502a

12. imswimmin macrumors regular

The CPU whine in my HP (in my signature) is quite easily noticed, so I do know what it sounds like.

I can happily report that I don't hear it when using my Mac.

13. minnus macrumors 6502

Ditto - sold my M11x cause I could not stand the whine from 1st Gen Sandybridge. My newest Platinum Plus PSU also came with ridiculously audible whine (there is a switch to turn the fans on and off, so it must certainly was not the fan).

14. macbedhead, Feb 4, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012

macbedhead thread starter macrumors member

It happens when I get a high write speed, otherwise no sounds when just surfing so I guess it is related to CPU throughput then.

15. warfed macrumors regular

Electricity would cause that.

16. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I guess if your outlet isn't properly grounded...if your MBA is humming from electricity I would say you need to call an electrician!! That's very dangerous!!

17. warfed macrumors regular

My MBA doesn't do that (although my old Vaio did). I was talking about CPU whine in general. Nothing to do with grounding, how do you explain the noise on battery power?

You say a CPU can't make noise, just google CPU whine instead of telling me that a CPU can't make noise because it has no moving parts.

18. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

19. calvol macrumors 6502a

Actually "cpu whine" is caused by the on-board voltage regulator, which is a "switching" VR as opposed to a "linear" VR, which are more expensive. What you hear is the switching VR transients that actually cause an audible noise.

20. gentlefury macrumors 68030

The only sound mine makes is the fan.

21. warfed macrumors regular

As it should, but some products have defects.