MBA 13" 2011: some questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by macmba, Aug 12, 2011.

1. macmba macrumors member

1) If someone (a friend/silly person, you name it) puts a firmware password on the MBA, and we would like to reset it, the Apple support page tells you to take it to the Apple store. Anyone knows what do they do with the MBA to actually reset that firmware password? Do they exchange it, do they give you another mBA, or do they have some method??

2) Where from and how much would a 256GB SSD cost?

2. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

1) They probably just replace the firmware.

2)

3. macmba thread starter macrumors member

btw, your #2 is empty :)

for point 1, meaning replace the motherboard? I don't believe its a standalone chip. and I don't believe there is a battery for the EFI. I could be wrong though. I looked at the tear down of the mBA at ifixit.com and there does NOT seem to be anything like a firmware battery.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Not 100% sure for Apple, but this tends to be the case for other manufacturers. Does it matter what they do, provided that they fix the problem?

As for the #2 question: See http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Aura_Pro_Express
    Looks like about $520 for a 240GB

5. macmba thread starter macrumors member

Well its important to know what Apple does. There is a difference between getting a completely another laptop, have just the board replaced, or if its some 5 minute procedure they use do to reset it.

Also, this raises concerns if your MBA was stolen by a thief, and that thief just go to the Apple store and pretends to be the owner, or even acts like it was purchased in person (claiming he is the new owner), and asks for that firmware password to be changed. I would hate for that thief to end up with a brand new laptop while am at a $1400 loss!