MBA 13' 2013 - Current battery capacity dropping?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bully worm, Dec 24, 2013.

1. bully worm macrumors regular

[​IMG]

That normal? It was 7300 mAh a few weeks ago. Something I need to address at Apple? Shed some light here someone.

2. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...you already have 20 full cycles on your battery, that seems like a lot in such a short period of time...do you fully charge it after letting it run down low or are you doing a lot of short charges?

3. bully worm thread starter macrumors regular

Short charges

4. robvas macrumors 68020

5. enigmapl macrumors newbie

6. fedecape macrumors 6502

fedecape

I agree

If I'm at home or anywhere I can connect it, I never let it go below 50%

BTW: MBA 11' 2013

Attached Files:

7. dirtnnasty macrumors member

I don't really understand that point.
    In case of my iPhone:
    When I go to work, I plug it off from power and go to work. In working time I do not plug it. After work I go for drink and at evening I am on approx. 10%
    then I charge it over night until next morning...
    This is one Cycle...

If I Plug it off at home, go to work and plug it in again, I load it from 90% upt to 100%... after work I go for a drink and at home I am down to 60%. I plug it in and load until next morning...
    So I did instead of one cycle, just an half (10%+40% power load)...

So the advantage of "plug it in when you can" is that I use more the power plug out of the wall than my battery?

But if I let it drop down to 90% and load it again up to 100% and I do this 10 times, there is one cycle too...

8. fedecape macrumors 6502

fedecape

For the iPhone I don't care.. I change it almost every year and also somedays I just can't avoid running it down, I use it a lot.

I only try to be careful with my laptops, which I usually keep for 2-3 years.

9. dirtnnasty macrumors member

MBA 13' 2013 - Current battery capacity dropping?

I decided to take my iPhone as example... Exchange "iPhone" with "MacBook" if you want...

As long as you use the battery there is for me no way to save cycles...

Edit: if I use my MacBook today 50% and tomorrow 50% and then charge or if I use it today 50% and charge and tomorrow the same... This is one cycle...

10. fedecape macrumors 6502

fedecape

That is correct, but is not only about the cycles. If you check my screenshot, you will see that I got 72 cycles but I still have 99% of the original capacity/life.

I don't know if it's just a coincidence or what, but it's working for me :D

EDIT: If I run it down to 0%, the next morning the app says I got 95-97% of the capacity. It improves when I start charging it at 50% again. You can see in the history tab that I had 96% in september.

11. bully worm thread starter macrumors regular

I did this once out of those 20 times. ONCE.

12. dirtnnasty macrumors member

So the essence is to use the MacBook ( any other device) plugged in as much as possible but use the battery sometimes/often?!?!?

13. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

15 weeks old, 97% battery capacity. Yes, it is very normal. Use the computer how ever you want. Plug it in. Don't plug it in. Just use it, instead of sweating and worrying.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is more or less than 100%, even when brand new, or if it fluctuates up or down over time. The gradual decline is not in a straight line downward, and it may decline more rapidly at some times and slower at others. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the following link.

Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery. Just make sure you don't run on AC power exclusively, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.