MBA 13/4/128 RAM usage

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MSFT, Dec 29, 2013.

1. MSFT macrumors member

I noticed that when using my new MBA with just Safari open (and maybe 3 tabs--very very light usage), the activity monitor shows almost all my RAM as being used (usually around 3.8GB). Is this cause for concern? It still feels speedy, but I have not tried to push it yet.

Thanks

2. TheEnthusiast macrumors regular

Open up Activity Monitor a few minutes after boot and you'll see the same thing. Unused RAM is wasted RAM. Therefore, in Mavericks, RAM is cached in order to improve system performance, which is why you see most of your RAM as "used." No cause for concern.

3. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Don't pay so much attention to RAM USED. Sometimes applications start by asking a lot of ram, but they are not "firm" reservations, the space can be given up if other apps request them.

The param to pay attention to is PAGE OUT, this number says, in actuality, how much OVER and virtual memory (the amount over) is been swapped (slows down system) out to SSD.

Recently I've found Safari not releasing unused memory, I kinda (not 100% sure) blame on FLASH. I'd keep FLASH updated, if you use it at all.

4. TheEnthusiast macrumors regular

"Page outs" were a sure way to tell if more RAM was required before Mavericks, but I've seen cases in which Mavericks starts using a little swap and shows some page outs, well before the maximum capacity of RAM is in use.

5. lagisibuk macrumors 6502

FYI...
    i think mavericks consume more RAM than mountain lion.
    example, when i'm using ML with mozilla, my idle RAM about 3GB
    when using maverick with mozilla, idle rm just 1,98GB
    let me correct : something wrong with my MBA?

i'm using MBA mid 2013, 4GB/128GB