MBA 13" cant stay open 1-4 inches

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by KasperH, Jul 9, 2012.

1. KasperH macrumors regular

KasperH

Hi,

I just got a new 13" MBA and wondering if its normal that the lid slowly closes itself if it's only open by a couple of inches.

Maybe mine has it's hinges too loosely tightened, i mean it's nice that it can be opened without having to hold the machine down with the other hand, so i'm guessing it's a fine balance, just wondering if yours are the same ;)

Sometimes i want the machine to keep running without having the screen completely opened, and not closing and going to sleep.

2. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

It's normal... it's magnetic and there are also some springs that don't just freeze in the position you open the lip up to. Why would you want to leave the lip open just a few inches in the first place?

EDIT: Sorry, just read your last phrase that actually answered my question... In that case, if I am not mistaken, you can actually configure the OS to not put your computer to sleep every time to close the lid. It could just turn off the lid instead of going to sleep...

Can't really remember how exactly to do it right now ( cause I just leave it open if I really need to keep something running over night ), but if you Google a bit, you might find some useful info on how to configure it.

3. BlueOcean macrumors member

Some others here have mentioned a program called Caffeine that stops the MacBook sleeping when the lid is closed.

4. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

Yes but does it keep the lid from closing on itself?

5. PeterJP macrumors regular

Yes ! It also makes coffee for you, hence the name.

6. dyn macrumors 68030

No because it is a mechanical thing combined with Mother Nature (gravity in this case).

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Ny 13" never has, and it's never really bothered me, as posted it's a design thing.

8. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I can keep mine open at a smidgeon under 10 mm (1 inch = 25 mm). You have to open it first so that the hinge catches, and then push it down gently. If yours can't do that, then you can take it to the Apple store and they can re-tighten your hinges for you.

[​IMG]

9. KasperH thread starter macrumors regular

KasperH

Thanks :) I doubt the magnet could have any influence above maybe half an inch or so, but yeah maybe there are some kind of spring inside the hinge mechanism.

Most of the time i DO want it to sleep when closing it, but if i'm watching tv and it's on the table installing, converting, importing or whatever that takes some time, i don't want to look at a bright screen all the time. But I guess it makes sense that it needs to be somewhat loose in the design to be able to open up so nice and easily as it does with one hand without tipping over too much.

I'd say that it slowly closes itself at anything less than a 30 degree angle. Does that sound about right?

10. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

No, it does not. Look at my post above. If you don't want to look at the screen, why not just have a screensaver and/or reduce the display sleep delay. Then assign screen saver to one of the hot corners.

11. KasperH thread starter macrumors regular

KasperH

Mine doesn't come close to that. And we don't have real Apple stores in Denmark. Can you open yours with one hand?

12. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Not from closed. I have to hold down the base. Once it's past a certain angle, then I can move the monitor up and down with one hand.

13. MacBird macrumors 6502

The lid hinges might be a little loose. It stays open on mine up to about 1 cm if I want to. When I attach the MBA to an external monitor I leave it a crack open for better heat dissipation and would not like it if this were not possible to do anymore.

14. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Press: Ctrl + Shift + Eject
    It will turn off just the screen of the notebook.

That should solve your issues :)

15. checkitout macrumors member

Yeah, except that a recent Macbook Air does not have an Eject key any more.

I have assigned one screen corner to "Display sleep" using the "Hot corners" setting in "Screen Saver" in "Desktop & Screen Saver" in "System Preferences".
    (I'm not sure Apple could have hidden that any better.)

I'd love to get back a keyboard shortcut.

16. asting macrumors 6502

There's no eject on the new models.

17. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Oh yeah... sorry, totally forgot we're not talking about MBPs.
    Hmm, then there must be some utility / software out there that can do this.
    ( else you can always write your own the way you want ) :)

18. KasperH thread starter macrumors regular

KasperH

I was annoyed by it, so i asked for an advanced RMA and got a new one today that has a perfect hinge. It can be opened easily with one hand and can stay open with only a 4mm gap, absolutely perfect :)