MBA 13 Chassis Noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mikeylikesit, Aug 4, 2011.

1. mikeylikesit macrumors member

Mar 19, 2011
    I bought a 13 inch MBA less than a week ago and notice the left side of the lower chassis make noise when I handle it (pick it up, put my hands on it to start typing.) The exterior screws are all star shaped heads so I can't even try to tighten those. I'm not sure if its the bottom or is coming from inside. Has any one else had this experience with a new MBA? I find the noise annoying and am concerned that it will get worse over time.

2. jackyyeow macrumors 6502

Jul 5, 2011
    My 2010 13" creaks when I lift my MBA up with one hand, means I pressed the bottom plate up, but when I try 2011 MBA, there's no creaks whatsoever, completely solid. Maybe there's assembly problem?:confused:
  3. serialtoon macrumors 6502a

Jul 1, 2009
    Long Beach
    I also had a problem with my 2011 MBA creaking. So much so that i returned it. Now im thinking i want an 11". I figure maybe the small length wont allow creaking/flexing to occur.
  4. cecoleman macrumors regular

Nov 13, 2007
    I've noticed this occasionally on mine as well. Only its on the right side when I lift it or put pressure on the trackpad and my palm pushes down a bit. It almost sounds like a mouse click when mine creaks.
  5. The Catalyst macrumors 6502

Dec 4, 2009
    I had a 09' air that used to creak if I picked it up from the front corners. Never had any problems with it though.
  6. Gemütlichkeit macrumors 65816

Nov 17, 2010
    yeah mine does this too

need a cheap screw driver to tighten them.
  7. jackyyeow macrumors 6502

Jul 5, 2011
    However my friend's 13" 2011 MBA has no creaks whatsoever, completely silent when lift it up. Maybe it's another lucky draw after all.:eek:
  8. alecgold macrumors 65816

Oct 11, 2007
    i went in the apple store to get my 13" MBA 2010 screws retightened. It immediately stopped creaking.
    Had this also on my MBP 13" before, but that where simple PH00 screws that I could tighten at home. Now with the new pentalobes I need to get to an Apple repair center before I can get them tight and noise free. Thats a bit inconvenient.

So if it creaks, just ask at the apple store to have the screws retightened. If that doesn't work, start complaining :D
  9. mikeylikesit thread starter macrumors member

Mar 19, 2011
    Thanks for your responses. I'm left handed which I guess explains the noise on the left side. I guess I need to make a trip to the store.
  10. JJHello macrumors newbie

Jul 24, 2011
    Mine creaks on the left side too. It's kind of annoying because I'm left handed and I carry my macbook one-handed with my left hand. It's funny though--it doesn't creak when I hold it in clamshell mode, only when the keyboard is open.

But it's still really annoying. I'm going in to the apple store tomorrow to get the screws tightened.
  11. jspaladin macrumors newbie

Aug 4, 2011
    Currently South Korea
    This used to happen with my 2010 macbook pro. It make a small 'click' or 'creak' sound... at first it creeped me out a lot, but I got used to it. I dont recall it causing any harm.
  12. jason.siegel macrumors 6502

Jun 15, 2011
    I took it to my Apple store and asked them to tighten the screws. The "Genius" went into a back room, came back out, and told me it was the plastic nature of the battery that was crackling. So he wouldn't tighten the screws.

Still creaks.