MBA '13 - iMovie Encoding and SSD CPU Usage

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Desmo2wheels, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Desmo2wheels macrumors newbie

Hi MacRumors Members,

I just have a concern I am hoping someone can help me with. I recently purchased a 2013 MBA i7 with 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD. At the moment I am without my Mac Pro and needed to process some moderate video work. I recorded about 2 hours of 1080p movie footage and used iMovie to process the work. The import from my Canon camera took over 1.5 hours and filled up about 75% of my SSD. During the import the the CPU for iMovie was running at 300% and fans at full speed.

My questions are:

1. Is there any harm that could be done or has been done to my MBA by processing videos in iMovie at 1 hour of full CPU utilization with fans running at max speed?

2. Is there any cause for concern to just be using my MBA as a conduit to process the video on my SSD by filling it up 75% and then later offloading the data to my external drives? I guess the TRIM and SAMSUNG controller will optimize it once I remove the data correct?

I hope you understand my questions... Please ask for clarification if needed..

Thanks!

2. m98custom1212 macrumors 6502

No.. Intel does design processors to run at 100%. As long your cpu doesn't reach over the thermal limit.

3. larry918 macrumors regular

...By which point your computer will automatically shut down, so no worries :) Although you must be anticipating the new Mac Pro's very much.

4. m98custom1212 macrumors 6502

Me? No I think Imac and Mac pros are waste of money.

5. larry918 macrumors regular

Sorry, I meant that for the OP.

6. Code.Red macrumors regular

And regarding question 2: That kind of use is definitely fine for the SSD, so there is nothing to worry about.