MBA 13 Inch - 2GB or 4GB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Senladar, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Senladar macrumors newbie

So I recently bought the new MacBook Air base model wit 2GB of ram and I have to admit that I love it. I was amazed to find that it runs World Of Warcraft extremely well.

That said, our apple store here just got ones with 4GB of ram and the price difference is only $90.

My question is, is there any chance at all that 4GB might actually make it slower at running WoW? I mean, is it possible that the 2GB of ram has a battery power --> video card --> ram --> HDD sweet spot that just works extremely well and requiring a tiny bit more power for the ram might screw that up somehow?

honestly this is my first mac, and looking at the specs as a PC user (former?) I would say the thing shouldn't even run WoW...

I just want to make sure that I'll still be able to run WoW just as well, if not better, if I upgrade to 4GB of ram?

I just feel I'm going to kick myself in a year or so if I don't.

2. urkel macrumors 68030

Most Apple Stores don't stock a 4GB version (you have to order online) so, YES, you will kick yourself for not paying $90 for 4GB RAM.

2GB hasnt been the industry standard since 2008. And despite what some say, if you are buying a brand new computer then your expectations should be beyond "good enough".

The memory isn't user upgradeable so paying $90 to future proof it is a no-brainer.

3. Senladar thread starter macrumors newbie

Ya, I called the one closest to me today and they have them in stock. Just waiting to hear back if I can return my current one and replace it with that one without paying their 10% restocking fee, since I'll be buying something worth more.

Like I said, I'm just concerned that somehow this MBA with 2GB runs so well because its some magic sweet spot, lol

4. dissolve macrumors 6502a

4GB will only help your system. Since the MBA shares VRAM with system RAM, it may even help performance in WoW. If you can, definitely upgrade.