Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
So, I am sitting here at tullys coffee in seattle (suprise) with my 13" air for the first time and realizing it's a bit big for the table! I also got the 11" which I must say is the perfect size hands down for this situation. Im sure I am not alone in this.....of course the large screen is nice but the 11" is really not that much smaller. It just prooves just HOW portable the 11" is. I love em both! :)

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
Agree! I just got a fully spec'd MBA 11' (as an addition to an MBP 15'), and it's the ultimate portable computer IMO. I initially was sceptical to a 16:9 screen, and although it's noticeable when working in office, it does make the MBA 11' much more compact and easy to use wherever..whenever.. :) Also I used to hate glossy screens, but this one is actually very pleasent to use..with less reflections and still a very crisp image.

treynolds

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2010
Seattle
I don't spend time in coffee shops, but the 13" is plenty small for me. Was at a Charbucks the other evening with my daughter (rare occurance), and I showed her the air on a small, round table. Fit fine for me, WAY better than the 17" I've been dragging around for the last 4 years. YMMV, but glad you found one that works; great notebooks!

double329

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
The MBA 13 might not be perfect for you, it is sure perfect for me and may be few other people. If the MBA 11 works for you. I am happy for you, Man... :p

LS1

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2007
lmao @ the title of this topic.

Who buys a laptop to use in a coffee shop.......

eba

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2007
The 13 fits best on a 13-inch table, whereas the 11 fits best....

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Oh please come back when you have something serious to complain about. I take my 15" MBP to my local cafe and it's plenty small enough to fit on those tiny tables plus a cup of coffee. No offense but I think the OP just wanted to brag that he got something new and cool. :p

MrMacNasty

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2010
Are you kidding? Not everybody drinks coffee or ever sets foot into a coffee shop. I live in Seattle where there are tons of coffee shops but never spend time in them. I don't know anybody who has ever bought a computer JUST to use it in a coffee shop. The 11" MBA has a smaller profile which, believe it or not, makes it more convenient to use at establishments besides coffee shops. Thus the topic of this thread is pretty laughable indeed for those of us who don't go to coffee shops.

Are you kidding??! Everyone does, or anyone who has a mobile job..

Last edited:

molala

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Cambridge, UK
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/5.0.019802/21.564; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Coffee shops at airports, train stations? you have to use them sometime.

And to be fair, OP did not imply purchasing MBA for exclusive coffee shop use. Some of you have had too much caffeine :).

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2006
Look, the 13.3" display could have fit into the 11.6" if they would have reduced the size of the bezel from large to regular. Would have solved your problem. Just send Ive and Jobs a note tell them they should trade bezel for display real estate in the next iteration...

centymeat

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2010
Look, the 13.3" display could have fit into the 11.6" if they would have reduced the size of the bezel from large to regular. Would have solved your problem. Just send Ive and Jobs a note tell them they should trade bezel for display real estate in the next iteration...

11.6s current footprint with a 12.5 or even 13.3 screen size will make it amazing and the best air ever heh

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Yes, indeed, I didn't believe it until actually testing it out in many real-world situations, but 11 inches is smaller than 13 inches. Must be a paradox or "magical" (wait, that's the iPad).

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
lmao @ the title of this topic.

Who buys a laptop to use in a coffee shop.......

Many independent developers will often work from coffee shops or similar establishments. It's one of the prime reasons for getting a laptop, to be able to work in a variety of settings.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/5.0.019802/21.564; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Coffee shops at airports, train stations? you have to use them sometime.

And to be fair, OP did not imply purchasing MBA for exclusive coffee shop use. Some of you have had too much caffeine :).

No, you're wrong, take a look at post #9. He says exactly that. He says everybody buys a laptop to use a coffee shop. Maybe you haven't had enough caffeine. ;)

a2applegirl

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010
Agree! I just got a fully spec'd MBA 11' (as an addition to an MBP 15'), and it's the ultimate portable computer IMO. I initially was sceptical to a 16:9 screen, and although it's noticeable when working in office, it does make the MBA 11' much more compact and easy to use wherever..whenever.. :) Also I used to hate glossy screens, but this one is actually very pleasent to use..with less reflections and still a very crisp image.

I use my 11.6" ultimate air in cafes all the time, and it is the perfect size for small cafe tables. :) I did a video conference in a cafe on my air the other day at a cafe table and was able to have a good cup of coffee and multi task while on the live meeting. There was room for the air, my coffee, my iphone, etc on the small cafe table, which was never the case when I used to bring my 13" mbp to a cafe.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Uh oh. Now we're gonna have the 11.6" folks lining up whining that theirs are NOT NETBOOKS (even though they are).

No argument from me. Its the best netbook I've ever purchased. I prefer the 13" MBA for my own use but my assistant loves the little guy during the week. She thinks its "adorable."

I use my 11.6" ultimate air in cafes all the time, and it is the perfect size for small cafe tables. :) I did a video conference in a cafe on my air the other day at a cafe table and was able to have a good cup of coffee and multi task while on the live meeting. There was room for the air, my coffee, my iphone, etc on the small cafe table, which was never the case when I used to bring my 13" mbp to a cafe.

Are you guys frequenting cafe's and coffee shops in Munchkinville or something? Your 13" would have taken up just 1 more inch all around at most. The 13" fits on a coach seat tray table with room to spare....if you are sitting someplace with LESS room than that you've got to be using a table with a surface area smaller than the leg(s) its supported by! Why would you frequent an establishment that provides less room to their patrons than an airline, are you a glutton for abuse or what?

macbook_air_4.jpg

Whereas Steve may create a reality distortion field, I didn't realize it extended to a spatial distortion field as well.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.