MBA 13" or MBP 13" - RAW & H.264 Editing

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rupnok, Aug 1, 2011.

1. rupnok, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011

rupnok macrumors member

I am contemplating picking up the base iMac 2.5 as a workstation to manage an increasingly large collection of RAW photos and H.264 movies from my Canon T2i. I would like a secondary machine that I can take with me as I am traveling, to do light post-processing on the fly and also act as a "plane machine" for movies/music/etc. I know the base MBP 13" and base MBA 13" are neck-and-neck when it comes to processing power, so here's my question:

I picked up the base MBA for $1235 (+$100 GC) from Best Buy, but scoured Craigslist, and found a one-week old base MacBook Pro 13" for $900. I would throw an SSD and 8GB Ram in there, so price wise, they're about the same.

As a secondary machine, one intended for travel use (meaning thrown in my backpack and likely tossed around a bit), should I go with what looks like the more rugged MBP or save weight (~1.5lbs) for the MBA?

2. treestar, Aug 30, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2011

treestar macrumors 6502

If you are really flying with it then keep the MBA. It sounds like weight would make a huge difference for you.