MBA 13" or MBP 15" ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by baaadboy, Jul 28, 2011.

1. baaadboy macrumors member

Please help me decide, which one do you think will suit me better.

Basically, i will be using my mac for occasional coding, surfing the web, using photoshop and will be running vm from time to time. Also I will be coding for iOS and doing some very light video editing sometimes.

Bigger screen size of the MBP 15 is nice, but I am really tempted by the lightness of the MBA.
    Basically, it will be my only machine for a while

Please help.

2. pezasied182 macrumors 6502

Depending on how much you are going to be using the VM, I'd recommend the MBP. The two extra cores and and upgradeable memory make it much much better for running a VM.

With the other stuff, the MBA can handle it, but if you ever want to venture into more serious photo and video editing, you are going to wish you had the 15 inch MBP.

3. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Agree with pezasied182. It is all up to your use case. I run a Win7 VM through VMware on my 13" MBA from time to time and it works well. The 4GB RAM is just about enough for that, as I allocate 2GB to the VM, which then limits a bit what you can do on the Lion side. Frankly though, if I'm running a Win7 VM, I wouldn't do anything heavy-duty in the Lion environment (other than maybe a browser, Pandora, Win Office, etc.). I can say that MBA can handle this with no issues. If you want to do something more intensive, an extra RAM that MBP offers can come helpful.