MBA 13 Ultimate vs RMBP Ultimate Benchmarks

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ckeck, Jul 3, 2012.

1. ckeck macrumors 6502a

Jul 29, 2005
    I've been struggling for weeks now on which machine to keep and in the course of using both I decided to benchmark both with Geekbench and Unigine. Figured I'd post the results here for anyone else who is in the same predicament.

I love the retina display at native resolution but I hate native resolution. The air is a great size and the Samsung display is pretty good, but still no IPS. Damn you Apple for doing this to me. I don't need to play games often, but when I do I want it to work...

RMBP Geekbench Results Geekbench Text.txt

Ultimate Air Geekbench Results Geekbench Text.txt

RMBP Unigine 3D Benchmarks

Ultimate Air 3D Benchmarks
  2. mikeray macrumors regular

Jan 17, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    If the only complaint you have for the Air is when you play games, why don't you just used a console for that??
  3. BlueOcean macrumors member

Jun 15, 2012
    With the same size SSD, the difference in price between the Air and the rMBP should let you buy a console easily, even a next gen PS/XBox I reckon. In my opinion, this is a better option for gaming, but I know it doesn't suit everyone.
  4. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jul 29, 2005
    Console gaming is not gaming IMHO...I play some casual games there but no FPS (except for Halo) and obviously I can't play StarCraft and Diablo 3 on my Xbox.

Nor my older games like Quake 2/3...but these should be fine on the Air. Not ideal at all but just when traveling.
  5. macbook123 macrumors 68000

Feb 11, 2006
    Very informative stats. Does anybody understand why the retina is disproportionately better in the unigine tests?
  6. GBlansten macrumors regular

Jun 13, 2012
    Thick Ascending Limb
    It's called discrete graphics.
  7. asting macrumors 6502

Jun 10, 2012
    It has a much faster dedicated graphics card (and they're both run at the same resolution).
  8. dojoman macrumors 65816

Apr 8, 2010
    Right!!!! Genius!!!!