MBA 15 sec boot time. Whats the big deal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MartyF81, Oct 21, 2010.

1. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

I don't understand what the big deal is with this new MBA booting in 15 seconds. My MBP boots in about 18 seconds.

It is called SSD. I could probably hit 15 seconds on my MBP if I tweaked some stuff and took out my 2nd HDD.

Am I missing something here?

2. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

i dont get what your point is. your HDD in your MBP is also an SSD...

3. MartyF81 thread starter macrumors 6502

They made a big deal about the new MBA being able to boot in 15 seconds. I am saying that my MBP can do the same because it has an SSD as well..

SO I am saying... it isn't a big deal.... and I don't understand why everyone is so impressed. ANY MBP can do pretty much the same thing with a Decent SSD.

4. TJones macrumors regular

I think this feature is only relevant when you're in the airplane just after takeoff and just before landing, otherwise why even bother booting/shutting down. Just let it sleep.

5. mstrze macrumors 68000

Because most people do not have an SSD and their boot times are closer to a minute?

6. tjb1 macrumors 68000

My boot time is 15-18 with a 7200 rpm hdd...and that is before the XT learned the boot files because I just reinstalled it 2 days ago.

7. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

i have the stock drive MBP 13" 2010, and my boot time is about 25-30 seconds

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's just a marketing trick. Windows has always been slow to boot so advertising MBA as "15 secs and you can start working" will definitely boost the sales.

9. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

Yeah your right, if they were to say something like "comes with Flash memory as standard rather than a regular hard disc" 90% of people arnt going to know what that means. This way they are letting average-joe know the benefits without the jargon. Im sure we will see this more in the advertising of it, you wont see the adverts mention Flash memory theyll tell you its got "instant on" etc.

10. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

25-30 seconds is closer to a minute than 15 seconds ;)

11. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Bingo.

Many pcs take ~1min or more to boot up. My parents' pc is downright annoying to wait for it to boot up (well over a min). I usually turn it on and walk away, do something, then come back to log in :rolleyes: This might not sound like alot of time, and 1min isn't in the grand scheme of things, but it makes quick tasks like just checking e-mail a PITA.

The big deal is when compared to standard/traditional disc drives. You can't compare yours because you've upgraded to SSD. However you can see what they're mean by thinking about how you'd feel if you went back to a 5400RPM disc drive.

Wow that's fast. You sure your SSD isn't helping? Mine boots in 35sec. After I re-installed OS X, but before I re-installed iLife09, it booted in about ~20sec (or 20 something, def faster than after iLife instal). After iLife re-instal, boot time was 30sec. After downloading a couple of programs and selecting for password on login, boot time increased to 35sec (at login screen, once you log in goes right to desktop). However, my factory 5400RPM drive booted in ~40-44sec, no different than many online reviews that measure ~40sec boot times.

12. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

Lets see....Beastly 17" with SSD boot time 15 seconds....thin light AIR boot in 15 seconds....I'll take the air and leave the 17" at home thank you....

13. c7aea macrumors regular

I think its funny to argue over a few seconds of boot time. I remember years ago when it would take 4 frickin minutes to even get to a screen then with crappy windows you would have to wait even longer just to click on something. My 2008 non-unibody 17" MBP takes about a minute till useable and I have a lot of things that start on login. It has slowed startup by a good 15 seconds. However I think it is perfectly acceptable. If I want instant start up I put it in sleep. Otherwise, I can spare a minute to let it start up. One day everything will be instant on though.

14. MrX8503 macrumors 68000

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3991/apples-2010-macbook-air-11-13inch-reviewed/4

"You'll notice that even the SF-1200 SSD in my 15-inch MacBook Pro takes longer to boot than these new Airs. Apple does customize the firmware on its SSDs. I’d be willing to bet the SSD in the MacBook Air has tight integration with OS X to guarantee quicker than normal boot times."

-Anand

Although only a few seconds, the Macbook Airs have some sort of SSD optimizations from Apple.

15. mark28 macrumors 68000

The SSD in the MBA is about the same speed as the Kingston SSD. And Kingston SSD is crap.

It would be interesting to compare it against a MBP with a high performance SSD. If a MBA is still faster in booting, then Apple did something really clever since the SSD isn't that fast.