MBA 2.13 or MBP 13" w/SSD??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pablol, Sep 1, 2009.

1. pablol macrumors member

Hi-

I need a new Mac for work and am trying to choose between MBA 2.13 w/SSD or for the same price a 13" MBP 2.53 w/SSD.

My IT guy at work is saying the Air is not as powerful or optimal as a workstation and is more of a "lifestyle" machine.

However, from what I can see spec-wise these Machines would be just about the same in real-world performance since there's only a .4GHz process speed difference and then the 2GB vs. 4GB RAM.

I will be running MS Office primarily and opening large PDFs, etc. plus Internet. Nothing really more.

I prefer the size/weight of the Air but again my IT guy is making me feel guilty if I take it since he seems to think it's not as capable as the MBP.

What do you guys think? Is the 2GB RAM the only real difference here and should I be concerned?

thx!

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Ahh, the glory that is SSD. If you've got the extra cash, the SSD is totally worth it -- much faster, much more reliable. But either way, both are great machines.

3. marcovortex macrumors member

marcovortex

From what I can see they are pretty much the same in terms of performance. Maybe some things that people do might make you see some differences but for the other 99% of us you will think you are using the same machine unless you want a built in SD reader or optical drive.

4. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Well, it's the IT guy :p! He's going to be thinking of the .4GHz, the additional IO, the RAM and the storage upgradeability. Personally, I think the Air is an amazing machine with an incredible form factor, but it comes down to what you want. For what you seem to be doing, it seems like the Air is more than what you need, but it's up to you to decide.

Are you going to want to use 4GB of RAM?

Is upgrading the SSD to a larger capacity in the future something you have planned? It's possible on the MBA, but more expensive and more difficult.

Is the 7 hour battery important to you? It's an additional 2 hours, but hey, that matters if you're travelling/commuting often.

Do you need the optical drive, the extra USB port, or the SD card slot?

Or...

Do you need a capable computer that is very light, thin and beautiful and is just a joy to take around and use. Don't get me wrong, the MBP is portable in its class, but to this day I still miss how incredibly thin and light the MBA I owned was. It was just fun using the machine. I never hesitated to pull it out and even after months of owning it I was shocked at how thin and light it was. It was a fabulous machine and a joy to use.

It comes down to what you think you'll enjoy more. The performance that you may use down the line, or the increased portability? Either ways, it's hard to go wrong. Go to the Apple Store and use both and try emulating your day-to-day tasks there and then decide which is best for you.

5. 3N16MA macrumors 65816

3N16MA

I would choose the MBP, the Air is really nice but the MBP offers more for the same price. However if portability is your number one priority then the Air would be better. It is easier to upgrade the SSD in the future on the MBP, also you can upgrade the RAM in the future up to 8GB. It really depend on how long you plan on keeping the notebook for, you might have to sell the Air and buy something new in 2 or 3 years while you could easily upgrade the SSD and RAM on the MBP instead.