MBA 2008 screen coating "disappearing"

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by cookieme, Aug 29, 2011.

1. cookieme macrumors regular

Hi

My father has a MBA purchased late 2008 and is almost three years old. He cares for it very well cleaning it once a week with Apple's recommended cleaning kit iKlear.

This week whilst cleaning he noticed something very odd. Two areas on the screen seem to be exhibiting some form of "peeling". I'm not exactly sure how to describe it, so I'll let the photos speak for themselves.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Has anyone experienced this and is this a manufacturing defect?

Thanks

2. cookieme thread starter macrumors regular

No replies. Hasn't anyone experienced this or have an idea of what's wrong?

3. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

It looks like the coating might be breaking down a bit, probably from the constant cleaning. The screen doesn't need to be cleaned that often; repeated exposure to moisture like that can actually be detrimental to the screen. If it is still under warranty, I would take it into Apple and have them look at it (if it's a 2008, it might still be covered depending on when you got it). If not, well, I guess that it's just kinda there.

4. cookieme thread starter macrumors regular

Hey MultiFinder17 thanks for your comments. I'm sure there are other people who clean their Macs once a week. Also using an Apple recommended solution such as iKlear according to the instructions (not spraying directly on screen) shouldn't cause the coating to break down like this.

I called Apple tech support today and described the spots on the screen. The tech I spoke with said that this is not "expected behaviour". I told him about the cleaning procedure and he said that shouldn't cause the coating to "break down." Unfortunately, as the MBA is no longer under warranty and was purchased from an Apple Authorised Reseller, he couldn't help me. He suggested I take it to the reseller and ask them before possibly taking it further via Consumer law thingy (law covering purchases by consumers.)

I just wanted to get some feedback from people here first. I'll take it to the reseller on Friday.