mba 2009 vs 2010 ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by orfeas0, Jul 9, 2011.

1. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

Hello, I was looking at the refurb store and checked the macbook airs.
    The only differences between the 2009 and 2010 versions I see are:
    Code:
    MBA 13" 2009-MBA 13" 2010
    2.13GHz Intel Core 2 Duo-1.86 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    glossy widescreen display-LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
    128GB solid-state drive-128GB flash storage
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics-NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics
    Built-in iSight Camera-FaceTime camera
    I thought the big change in the 2010 macbook airs was the flash storage, but it seems they already had an ssd (is there even a difference between ssd and flash?).

So is the new MBA even better? Overall, yes, because of better graphics, better camera (uuh...), better screen (I guess?). But it has a worse processor and costs more!
    Edit: It only costs more when refurbished because the older one gets a bigger discount. But even at the same price, it's not really an "upgrade", is it?

2. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

2010 models were hugely upgraded: SSD space, more USB ports, slimmer design, hugely upgraded battery. If you go refurb, get the 2010 model hands down. The processor isn't worse; it's a different build (I think Penryn vs. Meron, but I'm not 100% sure). The 2010 model is much better.

3. orfeas0 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm waiting to buy the sandy bridge ones, but I was wondering about those 2 models (2009 and 2010).
    The ssd space is the same, although it's ssd in one, and flash in the other (apple differentiates them...). Ok, I didn't notice they changed the design and usb ports. Upgraded battery is worth it though I guess :)

4. saulinpa macrumors 6502

The 2009 SSD doesn't support TRIM. It matters to some people but I haven't noticed.

2010 can go to 4GB RAM as well as having a second USB port and a SD slot in the 13" version. Also has slightly better performance looking at Geekbench scores. The trackpad lost its button and the keys don't illuminate, though.