MBA 2011 11" - Noisy trackpad clicking?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by douggnz, Aug 1, 2011.

1. douggnz macrumors newbie

Just wondering if this is normal for a Macbook? When you press the trackpad down to click it makes a solid but loud clicking noise. Very noticeable in a quiet room!

Given how quiet the keyboard is to use, this seems odd to me and my old windows laptop has soft touch mouse buttons.

Is the clicking noise normal for macbooks? The trackpad doesnt feel faulty so I'm assuming they just like the loud clicking noise?

2. jackyyeow macrumors 6502

Tried my friend's 13" 2011, trackpad click is pretty quiet, or at least the way I click it. I can say my 2010 13" is a tad louder, but still quieter than my PC laptop.

3. Grimmy macrumors newbie

I have the 11" and mine has a really loud click. Fortunately I found the option in the Trackpad settings to enable single tap, which means I don't have to press it that often.

4. superego macrumors member

There's quite a bit of variation when it comes to trackpad loudness when clicking it. At worst it's very loud and sharp sound, and at best it's still noticeable, but relatively low frequency and damped sounding click. In general, I've noticed that MBP's have slightly quieter trackpads which is probably due to thicker chassis.

Exchanging your laptop might help or then again might not. It's a lottery.

5. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

The weird thing is that the ones with the "softer" click have tended to go out on me during the warranty period and become hard to get the click. The ones with the sharper click seem to do better in the long-run. But that's just a small sample (about a half-dozen).

Because the trackpad has no obvious button, having the click be noticeable may be intentional as a form of feedback to the user. It clicks like a mouse button, and so some people will hear that and go "aha... that's what that means."

6. MJedi macrumors 6502a

MJedi

My 13-inch 2011 trackpad clicking is louder, sounds like a loud "TAP!" Compared to my 2010 MBA, it's a muffled "click." Why aren't these things built more consistently? :confused:

7. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

My 2010 11" has a clicking sound and you can definitely hear it but I wouldn't exactly say it's loud. Louder than my old Dell though

8. Systra72 macrumors newbie

I think that you can click without the noise by just making a fast touch on the pad.

Discovered that after some time with the magic trackpad, which I also found noisy and it was also hard to press in the upper region.