MBA 2011 Extra MagSafe Power Adapter

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by cookieme, Sep 16, 2011.

1. cookieme macrumors regular

The power adapter that comes with the new MacBook Air 2011 has model number A1347 and the extension cord has been changed from previous designs (cleaner design near the plug.)

I need a second adapter (one for home, one for office), so I purchased one from an Apple Reseller, but it has model number A1244. This extension cord is not the same redesigned one that came with my MBA.

I tried calling Apple to ask whether they sell an A1347, but the guy I spoke with was a complete poof.

Anyone know if Apple has updated the power adapters or is the A1244 the "latest"?

NOTE: I understand that the A1244 works with my MBA 2011, but I'm interested in knowing whether the A1347 is available for sale.

Thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It doesn't matter. A power adapter is a power adapter.

3. cookieme thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, thanks for that. As I noted in my first post that's not really the point of my question. If I'm paying for an extra power adapter I want to know whether I have the latest one or not.

Anyway hope someone else has something more constructive ;)

4. pinchy macrumors newbie

Can anyone answer this?

5. poppakristof macrumors newbie

A lower wattage brick (MBA) will work on a MBP as well as the higher wattage brick will work on the MBA.
    I had a MB and have an MBA. I got the higher just in case I got a big MBP.

6. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I don't know the model number, I just bought a spare when I bought my MBA at the apple store. Works fine.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It does not matter if your version is the latest version or not, because all Magsafe adapters work as far as supplying power to all Magsafe-equipped Macs. If you are worried about getting the latest version, whatever difference that makes (none), buy it from Apple.

The only cases in which the type of Magsafe adapter matters is for the MBAs. You want the "L"-shaped adapter for the MBA with the pins orthogonal to the cord.

8. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

Are you suggesting gays are unable to give consumer advice?

----------

WHy?
    I use my old 65w MBP15 PSU and cable (which isnt L shaped) with no problems.

9. Robyr macrumors regular

The Rev A and Rev B MBA's can't reliably use the old style magsafe connector. I have heard that it either doesn't fit at all, or it fits and works, but pops off very easy. Due to the shape of the taper of the MBA, the T-Shaped connector points a good bit down. There is also a bit of plastic that increases the footprint as compared to the barrel shaped one.

10. AlanShutko macrumors 6502a

It fits, but since it points down at an angle, you can't put the MBA on a table or other flat surface. It needs to be on a book or otherwise let the cable hang down so it doesn't get knocked out.

11. Robyr macrumors regular

Thanks for that clarification. I had a feeling that was the issue, because of the taper on the side on the A & B models, though I had seen people on the interwebs state the plastic thing too. That was far less believable though.