Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Yep, I know that. I even tried the "my battery is below 85% in less than 300 cycles after a year of use" at an Apple store and they offered to "charge me for a replacement battery". Gee, thanks for the generous offer, I thought. I'll live with it til I can't get by, before popping for a new one.

Well, of course they didn't replace it. That's because the stated claim is 80%, not 85%:

The built-in battery of your MacBook Pro or MacBook Air is designed to deliver up to 1000 full charge and discharge cycles before it reaches 80 percent of its original capacity.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

I just got my 2 year old battery replaced free by citing the above article. The guy didn't know what to do at first but looked like he didn't want to deal with any conflicts that day. :)

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
Well, of course they didn't replace it. That's because the stated claim is 80%, not 85%:

The built-in battery of your MacBook Pro or MacBook Air is designed to deliver up to 1000 full charge and discharge cycles before it reaches 80 percent of its original capacity.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

I just got my 2 year old battery replaced free by citing the above article. The guy didn't know what to do at first but looked like he didn't want to deal with any conflicts that day. :)

I'm still at less than 300 cycles and I'll be at or under 80% within the next 45-60 days the way things are going. When I took it in, it was showing 85% and Apple's own test showed it at 83% and it's fluctuated between 83% and 85% for the past few months.

Perhaps I'll get a replacement battery (for free) after all.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
I'm still at less than 300 cycles and I'll be at or under 80% within the next 45-60 days the way things are going. When I took it in, it was showing 85% and Apple's own test showed it at 83% and it's fluctuated between 83% and 85% for the past few months.
Well, 83% isn't 80 now is it? :)

Perhaps I'll get a replacement battery (for free) after all.
Print out the page. There are no caveats, disclaimers or footnotes in there that I can find. While it does say "up to" 1000 cycles, the 80% looks pretty firm and this is the argument I presented to the kid. (Who looked old enough to have a restricted driver's license and no wisdom teeth). All he said was, "Yeah, that's not right."

They can certainly so no but I'd press them on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.