Mba 2011?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by leftyMac, Feb 24, 2011.

1. leftyMac macrumors regular

if Apple is pushing Thunderbolt, MBA needs one too. so when can refresh MBA be? before the end of Summer?

2. Psilocybin macrumors 6502a

Psilocybin

Wow so many people asking the same question.

I highly doubt the MBA will be refreshed by October.

3. leftyMac thread starter macrumors regular

well, C2D is totally outdated, I don't know for how much longer Intel will provide apple with C2D, and IF Apple is coming out with new imac, mac mini, iPad all equipped with thunderbolt, wouldn't it make sense to update the MBA before October?

4. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

It would be nice to have thunderbolt. But judging from observation, Apple doesn't seem to always push to get out the newest technology in all its gadgets as soon as its released. I think we can expect a refresh in or around October. Now if it will still have C2D, well thats another question...

5. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Well looking at the history of the MacBook Air, the releases have been Jan 2008 (Launch), October 2008, June 2009, October 2010. So going by that I do kind of expect an update sometime in the summer.

6. leftyMac thread starter macrumors regular

so if the pattern indicates anything, June 2011 is a possibility then, perhaps coincides with the release of Lion? yes, one can hope. :)

7. AnthonyCM macrumors regular

I decided to pass on today's MBP upgrade. Mine is "old" (early '08), but still works fine. Since it wasn't needed, I'm going to try to hold off until they redesign the entire thing, as long as it doesn't take longer than another year.

I was tempted to take my saved computer money and buy an 11" today. However, since that also isn't needed, I'm going to wait until the next upgrade. I've been wanting an Air, but will wait until Light Peak/Thunder Bolt. I would love if that happened before my vacation in May, but I'm certainly not counting on it.

-anthony

8. IconicM macrumors regular

I was going to buy a MBA 2010, but couldn't decide between the 11 and 13. finally after using them for a few hours at the Apple store, I decided that the 13 is the right size for me. But what I don't like about the 13 is that some people were complaining that it gets noisy trying to cool itself off, some say it gets hot. Anyway, I hope SB solves those issues. Then I think it will be perfect for me.

9. Davichi macrumors 6502

This is what MBA will have. It's almost guaranteed.

1. Thunderbolt
    2. Same design with same battery life.
    3. Sandy bridge, but low voltage processor.
    4. Intel 3000 HD graphic.
    5. HD face time camera

If you like it, wait. If not, don't wait.

Also, I really don't understand how sandy bridge will be able to resolve heating issues. Some MBP owners are already complaining about noise and heating issue on their sandy bridge processor on MBP. So, MBA is thinner... so okay.

Newest technology isn't alway better. If you are buying MBA for performance, then you are crazy.

Please don't dream and think apple will be able to somehow stick in nvidia graphic card inside MBA 11 or MBA 13. If they cannot do it in 13 MBP, they sure can't do it on smaller and thinner devices.

10. Davichi macrumors 6502

Lion isn't coming out in June.

Apple has always used WWDC to announce and show the near final version of their OS. Then they release it to developers. Get feedbacks and release them in late summer like August or September.

11. Psilocybin macrumors 6502a

Psilocybin

Looks like we have a psychic on our hands. This is what the new MacBook air will have? Want to throw me the winning lotto numbers while your at it

12. rkheyfets macrumors regular

This current macbook air update rev D was a pretty huge update so I highly doubt they release a new one before October my guess would be closer to Jan 2012.

13. leftyMac thread starter macrumors regular

Aug or Sept works for me.

14. lshirase macrumors regular

It is VERY likely that the MBA will update in june (sandy bridge).

15. Davichi macrumors 6502

Thanks. But, I don't see how your comment relates to this discussion. I will just take your sarcasm and let the moderators find out what they think.

16. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

If SB will give a 20-30 % decrease in battery life like the new 13" MBP (or is there anything else that drains it?), buying the MBA now is recommendable.

17. lshirase macrumors regular

according to various sources, the MBA will utilize an ultra low-voltage varient....battery life should not be an issue.

18. leftyMac thread starter macrumors regular

I'm more interested in Thunderbolt because it apparently lets you connect FW devices through a hub / adapter. and SB seems more future proof to me.

19. Psilocybin macrumors 6502a

Psilocybin

I agree but a bunch of us are not willing to give up the superior nvidia gpu to an intel

20. KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

I'm not sure of the timeline, but Mini-DisplayPort first was popularized on the MacBook and they were very fast to make it a standard. So If Apple went through the trouble of rebranding LightPeak then it wouldn't be crazy for them to be on the fast track on getting the Thunderbolt name on ALL their products (Same goes for FaceTime HD because the embarrassingly low quality MBA cam just makes FaceTime look bad)

It seems there's a distinct line among the user base because current MBA owners can't stop screaming about how the old C2D is "good enough" and therefore don't need an immediate upgrade. But I feel that with the elimination of the WhiteBook (and the death of the singular "MacBook" name) that the gap between the MBA and MBP is huge enough that Apple may address it early with a MBA spec bump for those of us who don't want to settle for bare minimum specs in a $1k+ machine.

An i3 Sandy Bridge, Thunderbolt, 4GB, Backlit KB, FaceTime HD is something that could easily be Apples best selling notebook.

21. leftyMac thread starter macrumors regular

exactly. and don't worry, there'll be enough suckers who will buy our outdated MBAs on craigslist! besides, after running geekbench, my MBP and MBA scored too close! LOL I wish the current MBA had a FW port.

22. GekkePrutser macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

I agree, this is a sensible prediction and based on what's available on the chipset market, and not over the top (like those expecting dedicated GPU in the MBA, seriously??)

I think the Thunderbolt port depends on how broad they want to push this though (e.g. do Apple see this purely as a 'pro' feature or much broader). I think we'll know once the Plastic MacBook or Mac Mini are updated, if they get it then it's definitely not a pro thing to Apple.

There is no ultra low voltage Sandy Bridge i3. There's one i5 and 2 i7's.

Also, the white MacBook wasn't eliminated, it's still available and may yet be updated.