MBA 2012 11" &*Apple USB to Fast Ethernet

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by meme1255, May 3, 2014.

1. meme1255 macrumors 6502

Does MBA 2012 11" &*Apple USB to Fast Ethernet work together? Please don't recommend Thunderbolt adapter, because that port is used by DP ->*VGA / DVI reduction :)

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Yes
    You can use either adapter: the USB to Ethernet, or the Thunderbolt to Ethernet.

3. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I bought a similar adapter from amazon. Cost peanuts. Read the reviews tho as some need an additional driver download.

4. meme1255 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! If there was some cheap Thunderbolt hub, I'd recommend buying it ... But because AFAIK there's not one, only thing I could figure out as answer on question " How occasionally connect MBA both to wired network and external LCD?" was " Use USB to Ethernet ".

100 Mbit is worse than 1Gbit, but 1Gbit would be much more CPU-demanding in USB edition, so it's understandable that it's only Fast Ethernet. 100 Mbit is still much more than 0 Mbit :)

Thank you again.

May I ask which one? I was thinking about original Apple one, as that one's function is guaranteed , but if there's cheaper and working solution...

5. MrGimper, May 4, 2014
    Last edited: May 4, 2014

MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

This is the one I bought from UK Amazon. I've used it on my Air and now use it as a 2nd network interface on my iMac. Never had an issue and works really well.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008Y6SPN6/

Edit: Here's the page to download the latest drivers

ASIX USB3 Ethernet Drivers

6. meme1255 thread starter macrumors 6502

That looks really good! How's it with CPU usage?

Shipping from Amazon to Czech republic is too expensive and only few shops here offer it - only those without personal pickup -> I'd have to pay shipping that would make 1/4 of the adaptor price...

But I've found this, and when I downloaded driver &*manual from manufactures's site... It's nothing else than AX88179/AX88178A :) :) ->*Same chipset, just OEM.

7. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Excellent... I think the chipset is quite popular and used in a number of products. TBH I didn't look at CPU usage on the Air. I use it on the iMac as a second adapter onto a separate "Media LAN" I set up at home. Running PS3 media server on the iMac and streaming 1080p to my PS3. Doesn't have any issues.

8. smellalot macrumors 6502

Since you're from Czech Republic check out I-Tec. I think they make pretty good adapters and also USB 3.0 docking stations with DVI etc.

http://www.i-tec.cz/?t=2&v=39&p=21

9. meme1255 thread starter macrumors 6502

They use the same chipset. But thanks for that link, I might find some interesting "toy" :) .

10. smellalot macrumors 6502

Yeah I thought so but also you might find one of the big docking stations more useful.

11. meme1255 thread starter macrumors 6502

I can't choose :D
    1) Ethernet only ( ~ 500 CZK ; 27,5 CZK = ~*1 €
    2) This one http://www.i-tec.cz/?t=3&v=337 (it costs 2750 CZK ) but usability is much better ...
    :confused: :D

12. smellalot macrumors 6502

Sure they are much more expensive. But I don't know your situation. Maybe you'll find yourself buying a USB hub next week or you wish to connect two monitors in the future. All those adapters add up and it could make sense to buy the all-in-one solution. Also: only one cable to connect :)

13. meme1255 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll probably buy only the USB <-> Ethernet adaptor and when'll need more I'll buy docking station – I'll always find some use for that adapter if I buy docking station ;)

14. checkitout macrumors member

I don’t know what “cheap” means, but the Caldigit Thunderbolt hub works extremely well, provides a Thunderbolt out, as well as a Gigabit Ethernet, three USB 3.0, an HDMI out, and Audio, and is reasonably inexpensive. It is the closest thing the Mac world has to a docking station… If you have a Macbook, you want this.

(Downside: It needs its own power. Upside: So it powers the USB and Thunderbolt ports… No current draw from the macbook.)