MBA 2012 13" RAM problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by leafie, Jun 11, 2012.

1. leafie macrumors newbie

I understand that the RAM in the MBA's are soldered onto mobo, so they are not user-upgradeable. my question is what happens when my RAM dies and my warranty is up? Do I have to shell out $100++ to replace the motherboard?

Also, how much of a difference is the low-end MBP CPU compared to the 13" low-end MBA cpu? (2.4ghz vs. 1.8ghz)

2. PsychoGates macrumors newbie

I actually have that same question, and am also curious to know if 4gb of RAM will be enough for the next 2-4 years. Im trying to decide between the 13" MBP and the 13" MBA and since they are both the same price im having a hard time deciding...

3. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

You will have peace of mind if you just shell out the money for Applecare and sell your computer within 3 years. That's usually what I do.

If you plan on keeping your computer for a few years, especially more than 2, I would go with 8GB of RAM. If you plan on upgrading within a year and have thus far survived with 4GB, I would say get the 4GB model.

4. leafie thread starter macrumors newbie

but what if I dont get Applecare? will i be screwed if my RAM suddenly stops working?

5. angemon89, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012

angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

I would guess since its soldered to the board, you may have to replace the board and that'll cost, as you can imagine, quite a bit. Good news though: upon doing a quick google search I can't really find anyone that has had an issue with that. It may not be a common problem.

One thing I do know from reading the Anandtech review on the ULV processors is that the Intel HD 4000 graphics in the MBA cannot perform at full potential. This is due to the power limitation of the ULV. So you're likely to get at least 25% better processing performance as well as better graphics performance from the base MBP.