MBA 2012, 8GB & good for Aperture 3 on Thunderbolt Display?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by VinnieSpaghetti, Aug 26, 2012.

1. VinnieSpaghetti macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I have put my MBP (High-end, Late 2011) on eBay and just got my 1st bid on it!

I am looking to buy either a newer MBP with retina display or go back to the Macbook Air format that I loved so much. The thing is I wasn't satisfied with the performances at the time of my MBA 2010 (Macbook Air 13", 2GB) with programs such as Aperture 3. I would get spinning beach ball of death everytime I wanted to do a simple edit on a picture.

I was wondering if these days with a base (or more) Macbook Air 13", 8GB this problem is still occurring to anyone? Further more I wish to connect it to my Thunderbolt Display so I am afraid that would further slow it down...

Will there be any more of the annoying lags of the past when connected TBD?

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read this thread!

Vincent

2. Luigi3 macrumors member

Why did you sell your pro? ._.
    New Air is powerful, will handle aperture.

3. VinnieSpaghetti, Aug 26, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2012

VinnieSpaghetti thread starter macrumors newbie

I miss the portability of my MBA and was hoping to win a little back with the rMBP or a lot with a MBA 2012.

But beyond that I live in Europe where the resell value of my MBP 2011 now is high (currently 1500 EUR on eBay) when I can buy a brand new base rMBP in Thailand next month for 1800 EUR (or even less for a MBA).

Regarding Aperture, has anyone tried if editing via a Thunderbolt Display impaired the performance?

4. KPOM macrumors G5

It will be significantly better than the 2010 because the processor is much improved, but it will be slower than the quad-core MacBook Pro. The rMBP may be better suited if you use Aperture a lot.