MBA 2012 and Netflix

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MacBird, Jul 27, 2012.

1. MacBird macrumors 6502

I use Safari to watch Netflix movies and the video almost always freezes after about 30 minutes and I can only press the power button for 5 seconds to restart, nothing else works. I tried it on battery and AC, no difference. It happened with 10.7.4 and now also with 10.8.

I never had this problem with my 2008 uMBP. I'm past the 2 week return period, from past experience, might Apple replace it anyway?

2. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

You have a standard 1 year warranty. Just take it down to Apple and see what they have to say about it. Its not normal. I watch netflix all the time and never have that problem. If it was just the video skipping I would tell you to check your internet connection but if your computer is actually freezing you should defiantly take it to Apple.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Doesn't sound normal to me. Have you tried a different browser?

4. MacBird thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies! I haven't tried a different browser yet. In Safari I noticed that the fan goes up to about 5000 rpm when I watch a Netflix movie and the battery goes from 100 to about 40% during a regular-length movie (under low to medium load it's 5-7 hours). I'm wondering if this is a faulty GPU or simply a Silverlight thing.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just an idea. Maybe download and reinstall the latest version of Silverlight.

6. anandy macrumors newbie

Me too

I have the same problem. I have the MBA 2012, 13", i7, 256 GB model. After half an hour or so, the audio continues but the video locks. I have to hard-reset the system since it isn't responsive anymore.

7. MacBird thread starter macrumors 6502

Exactly, audio continues, video stops. I just reinstalled the most recent version of Silverlight and the video did not lock when watching a Netflix movie this time. The temperature of the computer stayed lower, too. I'll try a couple more times to see if this fixed it.

8. asting macrumors 6502

It's working just fine for me under firefox. No excess fan speed, no excess heat, no lockups, etc.