MBA 2012 crashing

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by CAPkuang, Aug 16, 2012.

1. CAPkuang macrumors newbie

I just got the new macbook air 13in little over two weeks ago and it has crashed three times. It simply just stops what its doing and the infamous spinning color wheel pops up and I am forced to hold the power button to turn off and turn on my computer. Is this something I should be worried about in such a new laptop or is this a normal thing? This is my first laptop so I haven't had much experience with this.

P.S My fans are pretty loud when I start watching Netflix or any movie online-is this normal?

Thanks

2. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

None of those things are normal. I'm not sure what the issue is exactly but check activity monitor and see if any of your programs are using a large amount of the CPU in the background. I just had a heat issue and realized it was because Wunderlist was using 100% of my processor to synchronize.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Since this is a new machine, I suggest you try re-setting the SMC:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

After checking activity monitor also, and if you find nothing there, take it in to the genius bar and get it swapped out, this is not normal.

4. CAPkuang thread starter macrumors newbie

So I did the SMC reset like advised and I definitely feel an improvement in the fan sound-its not as loud as it used to be.

Currently I have five tabs running on Safari and Im watching The kings speech on Chrome and the fans are running at a low hum. It also shows vast improvement because the fans are able to calm themselves down after I close chrome where as before I had to close the lid to shut them up. Is this worth making an appointment with the genius bar and exchanging?

5. chacolo macrumors member

I am not sure you have to exchange it as it might be only software related. Still it might be good to visit a genius so that he can find the cause of this kernel panics. If you are not satisfy with his answer, just go for a New one.