MBA 2012 HD4000 performance request

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by leman, Jun 15, 2012.

1. leman macrumors 604

I guess by now some of you must have received a new MBA (or will shortly). I am very interested in gaming benchmark scores of the new Intel IGP. I know there are some (discouraging) benchmarks for other 'ultrabooks' out there, but I am specifically interested in the MBA's performance. Would some kind soul run some games (preferably in Bootcamp) and post their experience?

2. dona83 macrumors 6502

3. leman, Jun 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012

leman thread starter macrumors 604

Oh, I am extremely sorry. I can't believe that I too became a victim of 'learn to search' :eek: (in my defense, I did look through few pages and didn't notice a these threads).

P.S. Still, the threads you linked do not seem to include any games run in Bootcamp (nor did any other I found), so technically, my question is still valid.

4. currahee2100 macrumors member

I posted a video on YouTube of games running natively on the Mac. My general opinion is that if you're thinking about running games in boot camp... why bother with a Mac and why not windows? This laptop is an ultra book not a gaming machine. The HD 4000 runs games fine on os x. If you want to run games, get an alien ware or falcon northwest. I don't mean to come off like a dbag but why spend a couple of hundred on a weak ultra book when you can spend a little more for gaming power?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlrkkiMJoDk& is the link if you want to see Diablo 3 and star craft 2 being ran.

5. rbf1138 macrumors 6502

"I don't mean to come off like a dbag but why spend a couple of hundred on a weak ultra book when you can spend a little more for gaming power?"

Why? Because like me, we don't intend to do a lot of gaming, but we would like to play the few games that are Mac compatible when we're not using the Air for the 90% of other things we bought it for. It's actually not that hard to understand. He bought a Mac cause he wants a Mac, not an Alienware PC. There's a big difference between the two. He didn't say he wants to be able to play every shooter on the market or something.

6. currahee2100 macrumors member

OP said he wanted to run boot camp and play games if you didn't catch that.

7. trondah macrumors 6502

He asked for benchmarks, not advice on what gaming machine to buy. Haters go somewhere else, I'm interested in this too.

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Because maybe he doesn't want to carry a brick around? :rolleyes:

The MBA is not a gaming machine, but it handles many games just fine. Being able to boot native into Windows will help with some of them.

9. dona83 macrumors 6502

PC based Ultrabooks will perform no better as they have the same processors, but more often than not they're poor attempts to replicate a MacBook Air. They don't get it. There's the Alienware M11x which is a powerful gaming machine and has about the same footprint as the Air but is 80% thicker and looks fit for a teenager styling wise.

10. currahee2100 macrumors member

I'm not hating. If you took it that way it wasn't meant to hate. I just don't see the point in installing windows if you have 128GB of space, let alone 256. 7 alone takes up 20GB add a few games and you're probably full.

I did get the air 2012 and installed a few games on it. I just don't see the point in playing games only meant for windows. I wasn't holding a knife at him saying DONT INSTALL WINDOWS was I?

11. leman thread starter macrumors 604

I need a portable machine for work. But I also do enjoy playing games in my spare time. I have been running D3/Guild Wars 2/Skyrim on my old 9600M GT equipped MBP with more or less acceptable quality, and I was just wondering how the new MBA would fare. CPU-wise it already clearly beats my 2.8Ghz C2D. I clearly not view the MBA as a gaming machine, I am not that stupid yet :)

12. trondah macrumors 6502

Actually you were. He asked for benchmarks and you told him to buy an alienware. In case you didn't notice, this happens every time someone ask for performance numbers on these machines. Obviously he wants the benchmarks to decide for himself if it's good enough for him. Also you have no idea what kind of storage space he needs or what OS he wants to run.