MBA 2012 rule over MBP mid 2009?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tekvi, Jul 1, 2012.

1. tekvi macrumors newbie

COnsidering replacement of my MBP mid2009 (2,53 Ghz Core2Duo, 8 GB or 1067 MHz RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256 MB and "traditional" 320 GB HDD). I have some issues to replace it, e.g. "beach ball" visiting every now and then. I have tried to fix that issue that originally started with my attempts to replace HDD with SSD but after taking the machine twice to two different services and checking from apple it proved mid 2009 mbp will only work with ssd that is provided by apple that would have costed 1000 eur... Anyhow, working right now but occasionally have some issues.

I was looking for major iMac update in June to replace my old-old desktop machine with a powerhouse iMac for video editing and replacing my mbp with mba. THen i would have needed the notebook for light use and desktop for video editing etc.

Now when theres no iMac update and i don't want to spend 3000 euros on notebook powerhouse (retina mbp 16 gb aso..) the question goes, would it seem sensible to replace the machine wilt the new MBA model (13" i7 2,0 GhZm 8 GB RAM and 256 SSD) especially in terms of processing power? How is the little machine doing compared to my 3 year old mbp? Eg. in video editing with FCPX? Then, I could buy the iMac in the next major update but am I gonna get along with mba during the mean time (that might well be over 6 monhts depending on Apple...)?

Are these geekbench benchmarks comparable at all? Probably not since it seems MBA is twice as fast as my mid09 mbp? In case I can interpret it at all...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1385223

http://www.primatelabs.com/blog/2009/06/macbook-pro-benchmarks-june-2009/

2. gpat macrumors 6502a

Bull-****.
    Change your HDD with an SSD proved as compatible by searching here on the forums. I wouldn't change an uMBP, it is still a capable machine, even the 2009 one.

3. zepman macrumors regular

zepman

I have the exact same MPB model as you. A few weeks ago I upgraded it to a 256 GB Samsung 830 SSD. Haven't had any problems with it so far.
    I believe there might be a problem with Sandforce-based SSDs and the MCP97 chipset used in this particular MBP model. My advice regarding SSDs are therefore choose either a Samsung 830 or a Crucial M4.

I'm using my MPB as my main computer and it's still very good for not too demanding tasks.

4. The-Pro macrumors 65816

The 13" MBA is a lot quicker than your 2009 yes. Those benchmarks are correct, it does have about twice the processing power. GPU is also a lot quicker in the MBA aswell as the RAM (but you wont notice that). The MBA should outperform your MBP in FCPX significantly. The space on the screen will be the same on both machines because both carry a resolution of 1440x900.

I'd say its definitely a good replacement for your MBP, but actually I'd say buy yourself a refurbished 2011 iMac. Little bit more expensive and a lot quicker.

5. gpat macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't get a CULV-CPU machine for video editing no matter what, if you want durability... If your budget is not unlimited, you could look for a 15" 2011 MBP, as Sandy Bridge Quad Cores are still screamers.

6. tekvi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone!

I have been looking for refurbished items in Apple Store US, but it seems those are not avail in Apple Store Finland, which is where I live (the country, not the store ;).

Considering the MBA, also due to portability, but let's see..

7. tshort macrumors regular

I have the same 2009 2.53GHz MBP.

I have updated the 320GB HDD with a 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, and upgraded the memory to 8 GB. It's working very well... and seems faster than my 2.8 GHz iMac (limited to 4 GB - ok, really 6GB, but that means two different sized DIMMs, and a 500GB HD).

I enabled TRIM support, and haven't had any problems since the update.