MBA 2012 Touchpad click and feel?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Henk-E, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Henk-E macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Bought my first Apple and love it so far! :)

I have a question.

When I swipe with 3 fingers, sometimes I click with the Touchpad.
    Do you guys experience the same?

When i tried it on a MBP of a friend of mine, the Touchpad wasnt that responsive with clicking when swiping.
    It is nog really a problem, just to make sure it isn't defect.

PS Sorry English is nog my native language. ;)

2. KPOM macrumors G5

Within System Preferences, there is an option to "Tap to Click." Check to see if that is selected.

3. Henk-E thread starter macrumors newbie

No it is the actually "click" itself.
    You hear the "click".

Maybe when I am sliding, I put much pressure on the Touchpad. :confused:

4. NeonBible macrumors member

That hasn't happened to me at all – not a single time. I recommend you to compare it to other MBAs to really get an answer. But I really doubt your touchpad is defect. Maybe it's just the way you use it. Cause my brother has just bought his first MacBook (it's an Air) and I see he often accidentally do other gestures than he's supposed to, too.

5. Henk-E thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah maybe it is just the way how I use it.
    With every slide I lift my fingers up and put them down on het Touchpad.
    Maybe I must only slide and nog tilt them up so high. I dunno, it is my first Mac :)

Hmm tried it again and was very gentle and made nog so huge movement with my fingers and the "click" didn't come.
    I didn't thought it was so sensitive. :)

6. MacBird macrumors 6502

Does not happen to me either, maybe you need to practice a bit more, you don't really need to press while swiping.

7. Henk-E thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I think thats it. :)

I tried it, and I don't lift my fingers so high anymore and no more clicking.
    So just a gentle swipe over the Touchpad.

It only clicks when I take all 3 fingers of the Touchpad an put them down.
    So maybe I didn't treat it gently :)

8. NeonBible macrumors member

A bit off-topic, but "het" and "nog"? Are you Dutch? I was an exchange student in the Netherlands for a couple years ago, so I easily recognized those words. Greetings from Norway, by the way! :)

9. Henk-E thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha, yes I am Dutch :)
    The words came of automatic word predicter. Good catch ;)

Greetings from the Netherlands :)

10. boto macrumors 6502

boto

If you recently purchased it, I would suggest exchanging the unit for a new one. I had a rMBP that had the same trackpad issue. It produced a clicking sound by firmly tapping onto the right half of the trackpad without clicking which made a "click" sound as you indicate. This problem is due to the trackpad being loose and needs to be tightened. Either replace the computer or contact Apple (Genius bar) to fix the problem. Also, make sure you can reproduce the issue if you are sending it in for the Genius bar folks to check on it and tell them to check inside a quiet environment. If they are unable to notice it or state it is "normal" just go to another Apple store to bring up the issue. I had to attend three Genius bar appointments to finally resolve the issue with an exchange because they identified it as "normal operation when comparing with other Macbook Pros side to side."

11. SoIsays, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012

SoIsays macrumors regular

I had an MBA whose trackpad was stiff and needed some kind of force to click and made a muffled clicking sound. My replacement MBA has a louder clicking trackpad that doesn't require as much pushing and I enjoy this one better. I haven't run into accidental clicking though.

12. Henk-E thread starter macrumors newbie

I went to an APR today and tried a couple of touchpads.

There were different "clickness" of all of them.
    1 was very stiff and you must press firmly when you want to click.
    I liked mine also better.

When I just swipe gently it never occurs anymore.
    But also when it does happen, it doesnt matter because the click doesn't do anything. You just hear it, but he just swipe and doesnt do the click function instead.

So i just want to know if I had a faulty touchpad.
    But the I also dont like the stiff ones.

13. SoIsays macrumors regular

If the accidental clicks bothers you so much, I'd try to have the trackpad replaced or even exchange for a new air if you are able to. I'm fine with my loud, easy to click trackpad. I really didn't enjoy the stiff and muffled trackpad that I got from my first air.

14. davidnyjets macrumors 6502

davidnyjets

Don't mean to hijack thread but this seems somewhat related...

With my MBP 2010 I was able to double tap and drag on the trackpad and it move the icon. Can't figure out how to enable that on my MBA 2012 running latest Lion. I looked in the Trackpad setting but am having no luck.

Thanks!

15. JacobH macrumors newbie

I find this very annoying as well on my new MBA 2012. I want to move things by double tap and drag on the icon to move stuff around. The settings does not seem to have a setting for this. Anyone..?

Thanks

16. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Sorry, can't do a Windows gesture ;) To drag I the the 3-fingers.

17. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

my guess is you press too hard when you should just touch it gently.
    It's very responsive, no need to pressure it.
    As long as you touch it , no matter how lightly you do it, it will work!
    I almost never click my trackpad tbh, since I can do everything with taps and 3-finger drag (and 2-finger right click).