MBA 2012 W7 AHCI + RST confirmed

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by wditters, Jul 4, 2012.

1. wditters macrumors member

I just confirmed that in Bootcamp, the AHCI driver now is active out of the box. Upgrading it to the latest Intel RST drivers goes without issues. The Windows WEI index has become 6.3 for the Core i7 2.0Ghz MBA

Processor: 6.3
    Memory (RAM): 7.2
    Graphics: 6.5
    Gaming Graphics: 6.5
    Primary hard disk: 7.9

Attached Files:

• WEI.png
      WEI.png
      File size:
      35.4 KB
      Views:
    • Disk.png
      Disk.png
      File size:
      37.7 KB
      Views:
  2. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I haven't dabled with Windows for a too long now. What does AHCI and Intel RST do for you?

3. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

Is this something to do with the previously reported i7 Turbo Boost problem in Windows for the 2012 MBA? Is this now fixed? What do you have to do to "upgrade to the latest Intel RST drivers"?

4. wditters, Jul 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2012

wditters thread starter macrumors member

Intel RST (Rapid Storage Technology) drivers are RAID oriented AHCI drivers that offer approx 20% disk performance boost. That and the fact that originally when in ATA mode (non-AHCI) battery usage was higher. AHCI also enables TRIM. In computing, a TRIM command allows an operating system to inform a solid-state drive (SSD) which blocks of data are no longer considered in use and can be wiped internally. While TRIM is frequently spelled in capital letters, it is a command name, not an acronym. (Thanks KPOM I forgot that essential one)

5. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

Okay, that's kinda cool, but sounds like the i7 CPU multiplier issue still needs fixing :-(

6. KPOM macrumors G5

ACHI enables TRIM to work in Windows 7. Before, Windows 7 saw the SSD as a regular IDE hard drive and didn't run TRIM on it. ACHI also makes accessing it faster.

The i7 multiplier indeed still needs fixing, as the i5s put out a CPU score of 6.9. Anand Shimpi confirmed to me he could replicate the issue in the i7 only (the i5 seems fine).

Apple is aware of the problem. In another post, another user said they are aware and working on a fix.

7. wditters thread starter macrumors member

On second thoughts, we're still not entirely there yet ...

Remaining issues:
    After installing RST drivers, Thunderbolt Ethernet is broken
    After installing RST drivers, Bootcamp control panel is broken (known issue)
    After installing RST drivers, CPU has disabled Turboboost altogether

8. Galatian macrumors 6502

Galatian

On a side note: That gaming score is completely out of proportion...:rolleyes:

9. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

So everything with Apple's Windows support is as ****** as it was before. Darn I had my hopes :(

10. wditters thread starter macrumors member

Not quite. With the stock bootcamp drivers I now have AHCI, Trim and (after updating W7 all the way) a disk index of 7.9. Now for Apple to correct the Turbo Boost issue and I think W7 in Bootcamp has just become quite good ....

11. wditters, Jul 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2012

wditters thread starter macrumors member

I am actually not surprised ... these are the exact same indexes as my Lenovo T430s i7 with Intel HD 4000. Which makes sense, as this measures the GPU in combination with an identical bus-with and memory configuration (8Gb 1600Mhz).

Note: The W7 WEI index is an indication but not a real benchmark. On other benchmarks the difference in CPU may affect the scores somewhat, after all on Passmark the difference between the i7 3667U and the full-fledged i7 3520M is 3560 versus 4787, so the Macbook Air i7 is approx 25% slower than a real i7

12. Galatian macrumors 6502

Galatian

I think they actually also just check how "new" the hardware is, considering that the discrete 9600M in my old MacBook Pro still runs circles around the HD4000 when it comes to games, but get's a lower score.

13. KPOM macrumors G5

Interesting. I wonder if the last item has anything to do with the i7 issue. Anyway, the thing to remember is that the purpose of the Boot Camp drivers is to get Windows usable on the Mac, not to make the Mac the best Windows 7 machine out there.

I was shopping for Ultrabooks today (my dad doesn't like Macs, though the rest of us in the family have them). The Samsung Series 9 looks really nice, I have to admit. It is lighter than the MacBook Air (2.6lbs), and just as sleek and well built. Naturally, the price matches, and they have only 128GB models. However, if I knew someone was interested only in Windows then I'd have no qualms recommending the Samsung over a MacBook Air. We buy the Air because we like OS X.

14. wditters thread starter macrumors member

While that is very true, and while my main driver is OSX, I only need W7 for my work, there is a difference between "the best windows 7 manchine" and 'the environment functioning without issues". To me, the turbo boost issue clearly falls in second category. I am relieved to hear however that Apple is working on a fix.