MBA 2013 - Constant fan and Slow at Recovery console!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by nc11, Sep 22, 2017.

1. nc11 macrumors member

So my daughter’s MacBook Air started slowing down with cpu at more then 100% constantly. Tried to troubleshoot the kernel_task cpu problem, reset both PRAM and SMC, deleted the mediaanalysis.pilst, etc to no avail.

Formatted the HDD and thought I’ll just re-install a clean OS to resolve, however it’s still happening at the recovery console!

Any ideas what to do next?

Cheers folks!

-NC11

2. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

Checked for blocked vents? Possibly dried out heatsink compound? Exposure to moisture? Trackpad works okay?

3. nc11 thread starter macrumors member

Trackpad works well. No visible blocked vents... shall I open the back and check?

4. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

It may be worth taking the machine to a place that can perform board level repairs and have them check the sensors and circuits on the board.

My mid-2013 MBA I had got liquid inside and the board had to be cleaned and some capacitors replaced to stop the constant high fan speed.

I bought an early 2015 MBA for parts and I discovered that almost everything worked except the fan would spin at full speed after being on for about a minute and would not slow down. I took this machine to the same shop that worked on the mid 2013 and he replaced some chip on the board. I picked it up yesterday and it runs perfectly.