MBA 2013 for recording lectures

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by sflomenb, Jul 19, 2013.

1. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

I found a great app called SoundNote to use for recording lectures. The problem is that when I record, the program also records keyboard clicks. Is this the program? Or is it the Mac? Should I purchase an external microphone? Would that cancel out the keyboard clicks?

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Since the mics are built into the MacBook body, they're going to pick up keystrokes very clearly. I suggest an external mic.

3. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

certainly won't cancel them out, but they'll be better.

Knock on your desk - do you hear that? Now put your head down on the desk and do it again. It's louder.
    Same principle here.

4. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

by the way - you might be better suited using a little digital recorder for your lectures... most mics you will find specifically for computers are for personal use by the person at the computer (for enhancing skype or videogames tat sort of thing) or conference calling. Getting something for recording someone at a distance is going to drive the price up a bit because you're looking at a "Real" mic like you would use for recording music.

you don't need grammy-winning quality or anything, but you also don't want to feel like you're listening to someone at the bottom of a ravine either lest you risk abandoning this study tool altogether.

I think you're better off getting a nice digital recorder for $40-$50 and then transferring them over.
    I was all excited about using evernote's record feature but to me, the tech just isnt there yet. studying is hard enough as it is, if it's a pain to hear what the prof is saying you're just wasting energy and frustration.

5. yensteel macrumors regular

You can try a keyboard cover to dampen the sound, but it's better to use a sound recorder.

6. Brandon263 macrumors 6502

I faced the same issue when I was in college. I recorded audio using my Air and took notes by hand. Typing up the notes later helped me revise the content. So, I had click-free audio and much better lecture content-retention = Win-Win